Reflectors on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

De Sisti

Veteran
CIMG2429.jpg

purplepolly

maander, where did you get the reflectors from?

Davidc

Guru
The plastic ones that come with bikes are potentially lethal. I had one come loose, and like Crackle nearly came off, at about 20mph. The b***** thing got jammed in the front brakes, and also the wheel needed trueing afterwards.

First thing I do with any bike is take them off. The only reflector legally required after the bike's sold is the red one at the back.

I like the look of those spoke things. Why are you so sure they won't come loose and cause trouble Arch? Do they rattle (they'd drive me nuts if they did).

Plax

Guru
threefingerjoe said:
As a commuter, I do a LOT of night riding this time of year. I consider anything that makes me more visible in the dark to be an advantage. I keep the reflectors on my commuter. I've also added reflective tape on the frame, rear mudguards, fork, rear rack, etc. Continental also has the reflective strip available on some of their tyres. I've never had any, but wouldn't rule it out in the future. However, I'm now taking into consideration the comment that someone made about reflectorised tyre strips not working well as they get older and dirty. Does anyone else have similar experience with reflective strips on tyres?

I have the Marathons with reflective strips on both my hybrid and tourer. They do get dirty, so I wash them every now and then. No idea of they are less effective now though.

Going back to wheel reflectors. My tourer didn't come with any. My hybrid did though, but the back one worked loose so I took it off (well it snapped in half to be truthful). Front one is still there. I'll leave it there until I decide it looks a bit iffy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Davidc said:
I like the look of those spoke things. Why are you so sure they won't come loose and cause trouble Arch? Do they rattle (they'd drive me nuts if they did).

They are little tubes of plastic, with a slit lengthways along them, so they clip on tight and snug to the spokes - they hold tight enough to stay halfway up the spoke, and they need some force to clip them on. I suppose eventually they might come off, but if they did, they'd just fall off, no chance of jamming. But I really think they are secure. No rattling. It's like a close fitting lid on tupperware. I'm assumming my spokes are a standard gauge, they'll probably hold onto something a little thinner too.

With a sharp knife, you could cut them in half, to double the number of spokes you can highlight.

jamesxyz

mine came off on quick descent a few weeks after I got the bike - near pooed my pants as made an almighty crack and chipped loads of paint off the back of the forks:cry:

btw maander - you look you're out of 'Tron'

Davidc

Guru
Thanks Arch.

I think I'll try some of those. If they'll do 1 for 2 spokes I could do both bikes with a pack!

I try to make myself show up well at night, and some safe wheel reflectors to add to the muddy tyre one would be good. The hard plastic things that come with bikes are definitely unsafe.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Arch said:
They are little tubes of plastic, with a slit lengthways along them, so they clip on tight and snug to the spokes - they hold tight enough to stay halfway up the spoke, and they need some force to clip them on. I suppose eventually they might come off, but if they did, they'd just fall off, no chance of jamming. But I really think they are secure. No rattling. It's like a close fitting lid on tupperware. I'm assumming my spokes are a standard gauge, they'll probably hold onto something a little thinner too.

With a sharp knife, you could cut them in half, to double the number of spokes you can highlight.

Just got some - they are a pretty snug fit in the middle section (1.8mm) of regular double butted spokes. Weight is low too. 78 grams for 72 reflectors on my digital scale.

I like the idea of cutting them in half - that way they'd be so short they'd be impossible to jam up anywhere, even if they did fall off, which I'd say is pretty unlikely.

Davidc

Guru
porkypete said:
Just got some - they are a pretty snug fit in the middle section (1.8mm) of regular double butted spokes. Weight is low too. 78 grams for 72 reflectors on my digital scale.

I like the idea of cutting them in half - that way they'd be so short they'd be impossible to jam up anywhere, even if they did fall off, which I'd say is pretty unlikely.

Got mine as well. 70g on my scales.

I've tried cutting them in half (new length 40mm btw). Quite tough. Sharp side cutters do it well. Haven't finished yet but there'll be enough to do both bikes, and at that price I'll put up with half length.

When I've done them I'll have a look using a torch in the dark and give an opinion.

Edit: I presume you got yours out of the box to weigh them - I did.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a quick one for those with reflective side walls.....

Mr Sheen works well, or alloy wheel cleaner - removes brake dirt............

Arch

Married to Night Train
Davidc said:
Got mine as well. 70g on my scales.

I've tried cutting them in half (new length 40mm btw). Quite tough. Sharp side cutters do it well. Haven't finished yet but there'll be enough to do both bikes, and at that price I'll put up with half length.

When I've done them I'll have a look using a torch in the dark and give an opinion.

Edit: I presume you got yours out of the box to weigh them - I did.

I hope you approve, having reccommended them! They are retroreflective, so they are basically the same stuff as the silver stripes on hi-vis vests.

Davidc

Guru
Arch said:
I hope you approve, having reccommended them! They are retroreflective, so they are basically the same stuff as the silver stripes on hi-vis vests.

Yes. So far I've cut them all into 2 x 40mm pieces (very boring doing 72), and fitted out one wheel on the mtb and half a wheel on the tourer. Then it got too cold so I stopped. I then put them up against the fence and shine a torch at them.

The reflection is fantastic. It'll tone down with a bit of dirt, but on unlit country roads should give a worthwhile improvement in visibility.

I did notice that they are really tightly retroreflective, the returned light is in a very narrow cone around 180 degrees to the incident light. In English, you have to hold the torch close to your face to get a really bright reflection. That's fine when you consider the distance at which you need it to work for a driver's benefit.

I'll try to get the tourer finished for tomorrow, when I expect to do a 10 mile trip back from Wellington in the dark. (It'll be by car if I'm tight for time or the weather doesn't improve...)

Thanks for the advice.

When I've done both bikes I'll take a picture and post it.

Crankarm

Guru
Get the reflectors off that the bike came with. They rattle in time and are lethal if they come off and jam your wheel.

I think hi viz on my Vaude panniers, x2 piercingly bright Smart rear lights and hi viz BS approved builders gilet, Scotch-lite beeding on the side of my leggings, ankles and shoes, gloves, plus two Cateye EL530 front lights is more than sufficient. I aint going to start desecrating my bike frame or my wheels by putting reflective gizmos on the spokes. I think that's going a bit far IMHO. It increases wind resistance for a start and I don't want stuff making a noise as the wheel goes around. Not for me I am afraid. I am more than happy that I am highly visible at night. Scotch-lite on my helmet as well.........

I have used tryes with refelctive side walls. They were ok at first but quickly lost their reflectiveness when they became dirty and no amount of cleaning would restore their reflectivity.

Top Bottom