Refurb of Intersport Lyqid hybrid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
A few years ago in a French Decathlon "Trocathlon" event I picked up a Lyqid Easy Ride (A what? A generic entry level ally framed hybrid sold exclusively by Intersport in Europe for Eu200-300 about 15 years ago) that had been converted to single speed. It was the princely sum of Eu40 and had been thrown together, I suspect by one of the local bike shops, as their stickers were all over it. Cycle Obsession, Angers, France, since you ask. Some of the bits used were nice, some junk. After a certain amount of fettling I just used it as a local hack. In the way of these things it got under my skin, it's a very nice thing to kick around town. I know it's nothing special, but it's a nice enough bike and it gets as much use as my others. I now want to refurb it, nothing fancy but a blast and powdercoat of the frame and reassembly, with a couple of bits cleaned up en route. I'd like to get a few transfers made with my own branding and slogans, is this possible? Also, in addition to the basic powder coat in RAL 6018 (Kawasaki yellow-green) I want to have small sections in blue and white to continue the Kawasaki theme. Think Kenny Roberts Kawasaki Racing Team era. Now I can paint the blue or white or vinyl wrap them. Anyone doe this latter? Does it work?

This thread might be of use to you: Brompton project ;)

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Thanks Reynard. So he went the conventional masking and aerosol route. That would work. The cutting out of the Brompton logo looks good. Laborious, mind, but doable. Anyone used vinyl wrap or had transfers made?

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Nobody? Looks like I'm on my own. Still, small quantities of vinyl wrap are dirt cheap. Lots of how -to on You Tube.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Howdy :smile: Thanks @Reynard I hadn't noticed this thread :smile:

Cutting out vinyl stencils was indeed laborious. If I were to do it again I would purchase a vinyl cutter - they're very cheap these days and would have saved me literally hours of work :shy::laugh:

I prefer the aerosol route simply because I can do it myself in the garage, and for me these things are as much about the journey as they are the finished article. With the right choice of paints and laquer's you can create a fairly tough finish but powder coating will always win for durability, Happy to answer any specific questions if you have any :smile:

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Thanks gents. I'm actually wondering about getting a custom sticker made, under £10. I can lacquer over that. Most importantly though I need to prep the frame, work out which brackets to keep and which to lose, then get it stripped and to the blaster. I'm staying with powder coat because it's so tough and reliable. I can get a frame and forms blasted and coated for £40, so aerosols are a non starter.

JhnBssll

Veteran
You would be lucky to get something custom printed for under a tenner but I would suggest you speak to Lucy at IndiPrint https://www.indibike.co.uk/

She has made custom decals for me in the past. In my experience she'll charge a one off design fee to create the artwork and then charge by the sheet for printed decals. From memory I paid £25 total including the design and an A4 sheet worth of decals. I contacted her via the indibike Facebook chat option and she got back to me quickly.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
That's bang on, thanks. I can actually get precisely what I want for under a tenner. I can brand it with my name, all of £4, and the slogan I want is "Ca coûte ce que ça coûte" which fits within their name stickers. Done. This is taking shape.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Taking shape now. After a nightmare with a plastic bottom bracket, I have the frame stripped and it takes a standard BSA BB that I have lying about. It's degreased, powder coating will not stick to any traces of grease, the frame and forks can be washed later to remove the last traces and tomorrow it's off to the blaster.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Done! The Speed Lobster "Ca coute ce que ca coute" is built! Looks fab, rides as well as ever.

Attachments

• Speed Lobster 1.jpg
    Speed Lobster 1.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Speed Lobster 2.jpg
    Speed Lobster 2.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Speed Lobster 3.jpg
    Speed Lobster 3.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
The colour is RAL 6018, Kawasaki yellow/green, with a metallic lacquer. The logos are vinyl transfers. BTW is it normal to lacquer over these or just leave them?

Top Bottom