Refurbished shiny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi All!

For the past 10 or so years I've been doing most of my filthier rides on a 2007 Litespeed Tuscany. I bought it at the fag end of Ti's attempts to compete with carbon for full-on racing bikes and Litespeed's rep had taken a hit after reports of cracking frames, so the price was a bit of a bargain.

Two proper crashes and a reasonable chunk of miles later and it was all looking a bit tired. The decals were scuffed to crap and I'd just swapped out bits or raided the parts bin as stuff wore out.

Although I'm not especially sentimental about my bikes, I thought it was time that it received some lovin'. I also wanted to convert it to 11 speed so I could swap around my wheels without having to faff around with cassettes.

So I had the decals and scraps of paint off, gave it a good rubdown with some paint cutting compound, fitted a new Ultegra groupset, Ritchley forks, polished alloy stem, bars and seat post, Elite bottle cages and a Chris King headset. The plan is to fit some race blades for winter and use it for credit card touring in the summer, but I might just keep it in the living room (or not, according to Mrs Dr B).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very nice.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks all. I was surprised how well it scrubbed up. It looks much better in the flesh than the photo shows. The shaped tubing and fine welding is really striking when it's left bare, especially the aero-like seat-stays.

I was going to buy some new decals but Litespeed's supplier want $40 for the sheet plus another $40 P+P. I could get around the P+P (company has a big sales operation in the US so could get them brought over on the next visit) but I was never much of a fan of the original graphics anyway.

Oh yes titanium does polish up nicely. That looks fab even though you've fitted the stem upside-down so the bars look funny stuck up in the air.
The bike has a longish top tube for the frame size and I'm intending this for touring so I deliberately relaxed the geometry a little. Once I'm sat on it it'll automatically look awesome anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Titanium and stainless steel do weld very nicely. You should see the 21kms of stainless pipework in our robotic factory, all laboriously TIG welded by a team of Hungarians over several months. It's a thing of beauty.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Stems are designed to be flipped; most even have two sets of graphics so you can read the brand name either way up.

It's lighter and stiffer to have an upwards-angled stem than to use a longer steerer and oodles of spacers. Either that, or sacrifice position for aesthetics!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yebbut a bike just looks so much better with the stem flat or almost flat and the bars at the same height, it looks fast and purposeful. As long as there's no injury it doesn't take the body long to adapt to the slightly lower position.

Top Bottom