Regents Park laps II!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A while ago a few of us were meeting after work for some quickish laps of Regents Park and I'd really like to start this up again in a bid to get fit! I'll be trying to incorporate a few laps into my commute most nights so post up on here if you want to join me! While the evenings are light I'll be aiming for after about 7.30pm when the traffic is quieter but I can be flexible if people want to head out earlier. Speedwise, the maximum I can manage on my own at the moment is a 18.5mph average over a lap or 2 (2.7miles a lap) but I won't be able to keep that up all evening just yet!

Hi, I'd be interested in doing this too. What evening(s) do you have in mind? I generally can't do Wednesdays.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Hi

I watched your posts last year with interest but never got round to doing anything about it, main reason being I live in Reading but I quite fancy a change of scenery / routes so might just give it a go this year. I have driven through the park once but have no idea about the parking arrangements around or within the park as obviously I will have to come via car - any advice?

Paul

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Hi

I watched your posts last year with interest but never got round to doing anything about it, main reason being I live in Reading but I quite fancy a change of scenery / routes so might just give it a go this year. I have driven through the park once but have no idea about the parking arrangements around or within the park as obviously I will have to come via car - any advice?

Paul

Blimey! I'm sure there must be much nicer routes near Reading! Parking in Camden in general is a nightmare and these things tend to be quite ad hoc and badly organised! (I work in research so I often end up changing plans at the last minute if experiments go wrong!) Obviously the more the merrier but I'd feel really bad if you trekked all the way in for a few flat loops dodging taxis!

Were you thinking of Richmond Park? that is a lot more fun but too far away for me to do regularly, although I do head there some evenings if I finish early enough. We could maybe organise a trip there one evening, especially as I know a few CCers that live in that area that might be keen. That would be hilly 7-8 mile loops with car parks, fewer taxis and the odd deer or two. My inability to climb would reduce the average speed somewhat though!

Hornet

Hi

interesting idea - i live way out of london so wouldn't be able to evening rides, but work a stone's throw from Regents Park, would you think about lunch time laps? Though i would have to get a bike up to london - perhaps i need to get a second "training bike" ;-)

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Hi

interesting idea - i live way out of london so wouldn't be able to evening rides, but work a stone's throw from Regents Park, would you think about lunch time laps? Though i would have to get a bike up to london - perhaps i need to get a second "training bike" ;-)

I could do lunchtimes. I'd just need to know a day or two in advance so I can get in a bit earlier. What days work for you?

Hornet

Hi

Any day works for me to be honest (not today though - i'm sat lookign at the rain lashign down) - just depends when i'm travelling with work. My biggest problem is the bike (which sounds stupid) - i'd either have to take it up/back on the day or maybe set up my old MTB with slicks (my first "road bike", ahhh) and leave it at the office.

yello

I used to do laps of Regents Park, many years ago. First thing in the morning before going to work (I lived near by and could shower, change and walk to work afterwards). I used to love it and do miss it. However, it was getting increasingly busy and I suspect that I wouldn't enjoy it quite as much these days.

The other circuit I had was through Swiss Cottage to Hampstead (Fitzjohns Ave?) then up to the heath and down and round past the Heath railway station, up Highgate Hill and across towards Archway turning to go down Dartmouth something-or-other..... or variations on that theme. Lord, so long ago now I'm forgetting! :blush:

Still, point of it is that it was a great little workout (some challenging climbs) and fantastic to see London waking up. I was out at first light in midsummer, a simply magical time of day.

Hornet

Another spanner in the works that i can't see a simple way round - SWT will not let me take a full sized bike on the train anyway, so i'd have to get an amazingly early or late train (i might start another thread to find out if everyone else is as outraged as i am that it's actually getting quite hard to get to find a train you cna take a bike on). Sorry Becs - i don't think it's going to be practiccal for me to join in.....:surrender:

Good luck in getting those training laps going!

Andrij

Über Member
The other circuit I had was through Swiss Cottage to Hampstead (Fitzjohns Ave?) then up to the heath and down and round past the Heath railway station, up Highgate Hill and across towards Archway turning to go down Dartmouth something-or-other..... or variations on that theme. Lord, so long ago now I'm forgetting! :blush:
That's a fair bit of my climbing training - don't forget to add in a few ascents of Swains Lane for fun. :biggrin: You're welcome to join me for a trip down memory lane, but I tend to do this at silly o'clock (usually heading across the top of the Heath by 7am).

As for a bike in London... you can pick up a Boris Bike outside the London Zoo. ;)

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Right I will get this organised at some point soon. It will probably be Tuesdays and Thursdays (Alberto is often out these nights - he's a bit faster than me and may have met a few people on a fnrttc). However for this week I need to concentrate on sleep as I'm feeling under the weather . . . again!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Right I will get this organised at some point soon. It will probably be Tuesdays and Thursdays (Alberto is often out these nights - he's a bit faster than me and may have met a few people on a fnrttc). However for this week I need to concentrate on sleep as I'm feeling under the weather . . . again!

Yup, he's got a turn of speed (but you're no slouch on the flat either!).

Top Bottom