Regina Oro question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebinho

Hello, I've been looking at 6 speed Regina Oro freewheels for an early 80s bike and have been surprised to see on some, such large top sprockets (the smallest). Some sprocket ranges start at 16, for example, see: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=7122DDBE-838D-4BE9-904C-452FD70347BF&Enum=114&AbsPos=2). I saw one starting at 18 as well. Is there any reason for these to be this way?
Cheers,

Edit: another question: what contemporary chains can be used with the Regina Oro freewheels? I'll be using together with a Gipiemme crono sprint chainwheel.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
When I first started with a club and riding timetrials, I used a 42/52 chain ring, with a 5 speed 14-18 block. But one winter, I got my LBS to make up an 18-20 block. In those days, all sprockets were individual, so you could make up any combination.

When it came to club runs, I just danced up the hills on my unbelievably low 42-20 bottom gear, leaving those still on their 14-18 blocks behind.

It's hard to believe now, that i considered a 42 - 20 gear to be a low gear!

D

Deleted member 1258

When I first started with a club and riding timetrials, I used a 42/52 chain ring, with a 5 speed 14-18 block. But one winter, I got my LBS to make up an 18-20 block. In those days, all sprockets were individual, so you could make up any combination.

When it came to club runs, I just danced up the hills on my unbelievably low 42-20 bottom gear, leaving those still on their 14-18 blocks behind.

When I was doing club runs and 6 speed blocks had just started I would use a 13 - 21 block with 42 - 52.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

One of yours? :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3043644260...EyAwM9fS2-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

I wonder why though the jumps between sprockets were so small. eg. The last link I sent: 19t, 20t, 21t, 22t, 23t. Why not start at 14 with bigger jumps? We're the derailleurs unreliable with bigger steps?

Fredo76

Über Member
In my locale, the term 'block' referred to one-tooth steps, so a '13 block' meant 13-14-15-16-17 and a '14 block' meant 14-15-16-17-18, in the five-speed cluster days. They were used for flat races only. More common were two-tooth steps, like 13-21 or 14-22, for general training and non-flat races. Bicycles for the general public almost all had 14-28 5-speed freewheels in some combination. Some racing derailleurs wouldn't like the 28t, but would be ok with 26t sprockets. Most had no problems with multiple-tooth steps.

Some people were picky about gearing and would make up their own combinations.

Any new 5-7-speed chain should work.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The size of the small sprocket might be related to the gear restrictions for young riders - which have recently been removed, either in part or totally.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Thanks a lot for the explanations. Can anyone tell me please what options I'll have for chains if I buy one of these? I'll get a Regina Oro or Regina Extra Oro in either 5 or 6 speed. Will I be restricted to getting an "antique" chain or are there some contemporary alternatives. I'm working on my first build and find the topic of drive chain standards a bit overwhelming! Once again, my chainwheel is Gipiemme, 52/42. Cheers,

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can be any. I was asking about the condition of the components as they need to be in good condition to run a new chain, if they are well worn they may slip with a new one.

Top Bottom