Registering my interest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
on this Vintage section, as I am getting a bit hacked off now getting dropped in my races.
Time to re appraise what cycling is all about.
I am able to drop a fair some on a minter from 70s or 80s eg Colnago Master with 50th or the bike that I couldnt (edit my parents couldnt afford) when I was a kid and Simpson was the geezer - PX10 lookalike Masi setup. although a PX10 with Campag would suffice.
Whether I pull the trigger this side of Autumn is dependent on what crops up. I can wait.
Apparently we are guaranteed summers like this from now on... so
oh add to the wishlist a GIOS.

It's ok everyone, I have done my apprenticeship on some shi tters of bikes in my life.

southcoast

Über Member
What are you riding now?

ChrisEyles

Guru
I run 52/42 up front with 5 speed 14-28 on the rear. When I'm in reasonable cycling shape (say averaging 50 miles per week plus) it doesn't hold me back, though it is certainly harder work - there are plenty of steep hills around Devon!

When I fall a bit out of practice (as now), I have to choose my routes a little more carefully or I end up wishing for a couple of lower gears on the climbs.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Surely it's just about enjoying what ever you ride

It sure is. I've just been tinkering with the scruffiest, rustiest, 44 year old 3-speed roadster you've probably ever seen - complete with a MTB saddle bound up with fetching silver/grey duct tape to hold it's padding in. Looks really horrible, totally worthless, yet the ride was really relaxing and fun once I got the gear cable adjustment sorted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I run 52/42 up front with 5 speed 14-28 on the rear. When I'm in reasonable cycling shape (say averaging 50 miles per week plus) it doesn't hold me back, though it is certainly harder work - there are plenty of steep hills around Devon!

When I fall a bit out of practice (as now), I have to choose my routes a little more carefully or I end up wishing for a couple of lower gears on the climbs.

It is getting late in the year now t think about an old bike purchase, but I did see a nice Super Record 70's OLMO with 20/13 6 block with Campag is it140 BCD? Tempting price . but I just know I'd be grinding away after an hour in the saddle.

You have to be fit and strong

I am neither and half way round the 160 km route on this year’s Retro Ronde I ended up on a ditch with cramp in both legs:cry:

As @ChrisEyles says pick your route carefully, so I skipped the hills on the second half :okay: and ended up only doing 120 km:bicycle:.

If you have an old Campag record chainset with 144BCD you stuck with a double smallest ring 41 teeth, unless you find a very rare triple or use an aftermarket converter.

Luckily, my bike has all French bits so I am about to fit a stronglight triple^_^.

Top Bottom