regrease the rear hub ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
hi there,,iv just got a commuter and when i spin the back wheel by hand it only turns a few turns ,,whereas the front spins forever ,,the brakes arent binding or rubbing in any way ,,so i think a regrease of the hub is in order.is there anything i should know ,,just take the spindle and bearings out ,,refit with new grease(any special kind ?) and button it back up ?

its a tiagra set up and its fairly standard,,8 spd rear cluster

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

If the wheel is ok it might be the the hub bearings, in some wheels they are traditional cup and cone type which you can service to make them smoother (I've had to service the Kinesis wheels lately and they are of this type and I just used Lithium grease and it seems to be a good job) its a bit fiddly though but grease and cone spanners is all you really need. IME you are also better however to replace the ballbearings when you service the hub you may repolish the old ones but new is better. Alternatively, some wheels are of the cartridge type and with them, its just a case of removing the cartridge and fitting the new one.

Woah! Try a couple of drops of chain lube on the edges of that rubber seal before you start dismantling the hub. They're terrible for getting dry and draggy them 'uns.

Top Bottom