Rejoice! Ramblers lose an access case!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

Ramblers, like cyclists, come in all varieties - but that does seem an odd thing to challenge, especially since the right of way was a cull-de-sac.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Ramblers contest every petition to alter the course of a footpath or bridleway because they want to ensure that a very specific and particular reason is at the heart of any permissions granted, so that no widely applicable precedent can be established.

The last thing we want is a situation developing where "it's in the way" or "it goes near my house" or even, "because I don't want it there" become acceptable reasons to reroute a right of way.

Our rights of way are pretty haphazard as it is. If they start getting shunted around purely on the whim of a landowner, then they will only get worse and worse. What we need is a coherent era of development, not the start of their terminal destruction.

Some individual ramblers may be a pain at times, but cycling could learn a lot about the benefits of having a unified campaigning organisation representing all participants of their particular sport. Contrast it with our British Cycling / CTC / RTTC / LVC / TCA / AudaxUK / Sustrans etc, etc mish mash of representation.

ccj

Tim Bennet. said:
but cycling could learn a lot about the benefits of having a unified campaigning organisation representing all participants of their particular sport. Contrast it with our British Cycling / CTC / RTTC / LVC / TCA / AudaxUK / Sustrans etc, etc mish mash of representation.

So does this mean in your experience that these organisations don't talk to each other?

If so, that seems very short sighted indeed. The Lottery vote's coming up soon & I'd have thought that would be a great opportunity for at least the bigger groups to pool expertise.

Dave5N

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:
The Ramblers contest every petition to alter the course of a footpath or bridleway because they want to ensure that a very specific and particular reason is at the heart of any permissions granted, so that no widely applicable precedent can be established.

The last thing we want is a situation developing where "it's in the way" or "it goes near my house" or even, "because I don't want it there" become acceptable reasons to reroute a right of way.

Our rights of way are pretty haphazard as it is. If they start getting shunted around purely on the whim of a landowner, then they will only get worse and worse. What we need is a coherent era of development, not the start of their terminal destruction.

Some individual ramblers may be a pain at times, but cycling could learn a lot about the benefits of having a unified campaigning organisation representing all participants of their particular sport. Contrast it with our British Cycling / CTC / RTTC / LVC / TCA / AudaxUK / Sustrans etc, etc mish mash of representation.

RTTC is the CTT now?

Anyway, that aside from your list only the CTC and BC represent cyclists in this country.

Top Bottom