Reliable shifting on a triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've used those for years, never dropped a chain since I fitted one.
Me too

si_c

Guru
The best shifting I've ever had was friction shifters. Either go downtube shifters or bar end - if you get the fancy ones you can use them indexed as well - but that's just showing off.

Alan O

Über Member
The non-indexed triple shifter I have on my touring bike is a Shimano Exage Country (I had to check), and it's very reliable with my Biopace 28/38/48. Since I got the limit screws adjusted correctly, it's never dropped the chain.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I know of one bloke who claims to have over 70,000 miles of reliable shifts from sti units but they're not something I'd want going wrong miles from home...too bloody complicated.
Thumbshifters or downtube Levers are about as simple as can be and so less likely to fail. The mounting positions for either of these is almost limitless due to the various brackets and adapters available.
The only time I've had a dropped chain was down to poor setup and that's easily fixed.
Chain suck can be an issue but usually that's due to the metal on the granny ring teeth being squished up when it's new. The ridges can be filed off and you can go back to normal shifting again.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes of course setup is important but I'm interested in differences in combinations, assuming everything else being equal. There are five different triples in my fleet, that all have different characteristics.

KneesUp

Guru
Bar ends set to friction for me. Shimano LX cranks with a mix of Shimano and Spa rings and a c. 30 year old Suntour XCE derailleur up front and a 8 speed cassette with a Alvio mech at the back. All very reliable although the top limit screw on the front shifter is stuck so you can overahift if you’re being brutal.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I know of one bloke who claims to have over 70,000 miles of reliable shifts from sti units but they're not something I'd want going wrong miles from home...too bloody complicated.
Thumbshifters or downtube Levers are about as simple as can be and so less likely to fail. The mounting positions for either of these is almost limitless due to the various brackets and adapters available.
The only time I've had a dropped chain was down to poor setup and that's easily fixed.
Chain suck can be an issue but usually that's due to the metal on the granny ring teeth being squished up when it's new. The ridges can be filed off and you can go back to normal shifting again.
Interesting Vantage. I know a lot of serious tourers only use friction shifters for the reasons you state. Personally I find Sti's fine for my purposes and the only time I've not been able to fix gearing is when a component has actually broken.

si_c

Guru
Interesting Vantage. I know a lot of serious tourers only use friction shifters for the reasons you state. Personally I find Sti's fine for my purposes and the only time I've not been able to fix gearing is when a component has actually broken.
STI shifters work well for me, my commuter is at 12k all weather (snow, rain, more rain, heavy rain and the occaisonal sun) with no shifting problems at all. Aside from one frayed cable which broke.

I'd be quite happy touring with them, but if I was going somewhere where parts might be difficult to come by, I may well be tempted to go with bar ends.

Occasionally my Deore XT drops the chain. More user error than anything.

What's the error you reckon causes it?

One of my bikes drops the chain sometimes - have the impression that it might have something to do with changing gear when rolling over a speedbump. Make any sense?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What's the error you reckon causes it?

One of my bikes drops the chain sometimes - have the impression that it might have something to do with changing gear when rolling over a speedbump. Make any sense?

Absolutely makes sense. Mine COULD be that I’m trying to be too clever by shifting to a smaller chainring while simultaneously shifting to a bigger gear on the cassette. Usually as I’m coming off a quick downhill/flat onto a climb. Both recent occurrences have been on a left hand bend. In both cases I had the presence of mind not to force the chain so it wedged itself on the B.B.

I too could do with a dog’s tooth. I wouldn’t have dropped it I’m sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom