Remaking a lamp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Because its dangerous that's why which has been very clearly explained.

about as dangerous as fitting a replacement plug socket. If the OP suggested doing that, i presume you'd be offering the same advice?

"Don't do it or you'll die! ..and burn the house down!!"

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Probably yourself .. Can you actually read? Go back and read the opening post. FFS.

he's asking about fitting a new bulb holder. Bulb fitting aside, they look like this on the inside...

BLB2.jpg

It's far less complicated than a 3-pin plug.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
LOL. Of course it is ,messing around with wiring when you don't have the slightest clue what you are doing. There's thousands of electrical house fires in the U.K every year. The OP doesnt have the slightest clue.

Studied elements of electrical engineering at uni including various necessary calculations for single and three phase supply. I've not had quite the training of a sparkie though so I reckon I have got a slightest clue. Didn't have a clue all those times I've wired up ceiling lights, plug sockets, etc all those years ago before we had to worry about getting certificates from part p sparkies. Yet to have a shock or burn a house down.

Interesting how the only ppl I know to get shocks were trade. Plasterer who got shocked by faulty overhead supply to our house. And an industrial sparkie called lightning after he stuck a screwdriver into an industrial unit, hit a shock and claimed it was isolated so must have been a lightning strike! Lol!

What I haven't got a clue about is kits are available. Kinda makes it idiot proof for someone who evidently doesn't have a clue because they've asked about making up their own kit. Obviously not needed as someone makes them up for ppl without a slightest clue to put together.

What does assuming things do? Make a ... lol!

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Look, my first post was about what's out there so I don't have to reinvent the thing. Never needed to look for bulb holders or lamp kits. If you got the idea I've got no clue about actually wiring stuff safely sorry it was misleading. I got my answer, cheap kits available so being a little lazy that's good enough. Pull cable through lamp base and wire up to holder then screw it to the base. No need to be a time served sparkie for that.

In my school days we were doing more than that in gcse physics. I was even taught to wire a plug at cubs at 9 or 10yo. Hardly difficult to wire up when such kits will almost certainly come with instructions. I've also served a kind of apprenticeship on DIY with my dad. Him and especially his brother were used to rewiring houses.

I think all this from and gloom about burning the house down is a bit much personally.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's the amps you want to worry about.
The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amperes) forced though the body, and not the voltage. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current.

I know the "current kills you not volts" thing is oft' quoted but current = voltage / resistance, so they are not unrelated

Top Bottom