Remaking a lamp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We got two matching lamps from a charity shop, nothing special or fancy but they do a job and have lasted longer than other lamps. This one has stopped working with a smell of burning. We've taken off the bulb holder and there's a lot of white powder that makes me think there's a short circuit and resistive heating that's aged the cord and plastic of the bulb holder.

Are these bulb holders a standard design? I'm thinking a new cable, plug, fuse and bulb holder might be a quick enough fix to give it a go. The bulb holder it's got screws into a bolt in the stand. I would need to take off the felt base to get into the central hole to hold up the screw when reattaching.

What cables and bulb holder would I need. Are there different rated ones? This is probably a set of rather basic questions, but I'd rather ask and sound a fool than be a fool by doing something wrong.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are these bulb holders a standard design?
Yes, as far as I know, but there are different sizes to fit different bulb fittings.
Ask me how many times I bought the wrong size bulb even after measuring the lamp fitting diameter? :laugh:
What cables and bulb holder would I need.
Folks make table lamps out of bottles, so there must be kits available.
A quick Google brings this up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bayonet or screw fitting? A pic of said lamps would be helpful.
White powder doesn't necessarily mean a short, probably more like the plastic reacted with something. Plastics can do odd things when there is a lot of heat.
Usually a fairly simple matter to replace the current bulb holder with a new unit.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bayonet or screw fitting? A pic of said lamps would be helpful.
White powder doesn't necessarily mean a short, probably more like the plastic reacted with something.
Usually a fairly simple matter to replace the current bulb holder with a new unit.
Small or standard as well.

Gwylan

Veteran
Well, I have an anorak in this.

Photo of the lamp holder - the bit that holds the lamp.
Photo of the cable that is being used.
Is the plug moulded on?
Does the light fitting or the lampshade have a maximum wattage label?

Advice is free and without warranty etc.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst there are bayonet and (several sizes of) edison screw fittings, remember it doesn't need to be like for like. Just choose the type you favour. I tend to favour E27 for any I've installed or replaced. Same size as "normal" bayonet but I find it easier to change the bulbs when needed. Metal fittings need to be earthed, and hence need a 3 core cable. Some old (metal) lamps are not earthed but should be.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd just get rid of the pair of them, for say £10.00 you could buy a new one.
I couldn't be bothered with all the faffing about and the last thing you want is a house fire. It would cost more buying all those bits than buying a new one.
Table lamps start from £6.00 at Dunelm.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I couldn't be bothered with all the faffing about and the last thing you want is a house fire. It would cost more buying all those bits than buying a new one.
Hang on, they could have sentimental value ;)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hang on, they could have sentimental value ;)

But probably not much value (of any kind) since they were described as charity shop items.

I've replaced bulb holders and in-line switches on various lamps. Is often easy, although you really don't want to muck about with mains voltage unless you know what you're doing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

There's very little 'faff' involved in such a basic task as mending a lamp, and the OP would have to be particularly incompetent to do it so badly that the house burns down.... and it's a four mile round trip to Dunhelm :whistle:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You can buy online now.
Its a total waste of money rebuilding an old lamp when a new one will be much cheaper. The OP obviously isn't well informed regarding lamps so its not worth the possible risk.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
But probably not much value (of any kind) since they were described as charity shop items.

I've replaced bulb holders and in-line switches on various lamps. Is often easy, although you really don't want to muck about with mains voltage unless you know what you're doing.

It's the amps you want to worry about.
The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amperes) forced though the body, and not the voltage. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current.

Top Bottom