Standard Lamps.......a question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My standard lamp has died..... had it many years so it owes me nowt. It has a top lamp and a smaller one on a flexible arm.
When I Google it (Amazon/Argos etc) I find "father and child" lamps or "mother and child" lamps but cannot see any difference.
Is there a difference or just a choice of names ??

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like marketing. I should say a trip down to Ikea is in order.

si_c

Guru
My standard lamp has died..... had it many years so it owes me nowt. It has a top lamp and a smaller one on a flexible arm.
When I Google it (Amazon/Argos etc) I find "father and child" lamps or "mother and child" lamps but cannot see any difference.
Is there a difference or just a choice of names ??

Not fixable?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just choose one you like the look of! I’d avoid IKEA for lights, they use funny fittings and bulbs proprietary to them iirc. B&Q or Homebase if you want to look at them or Argos for ease of collection and return :smile: Or John Lewis if feeling flush (although their Anyday range is reasonable)

Tenkaykev

Guru
Sounds like marketing. I should say a trip down to Ikea is in order.

We got a couple of IKEA uplighters ( Father/ Child or whatever ). Cheap as chips and just a temporary solution. They're still in use years later, excellent value an well made too. I wonder if the " Father / Child / Mother / Child " malarkey might refer to the relative heights of the lamps?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just choose one you like the look of! I’d avoid IKEA for lights, they use funny fittings and bulbs proprietary to them iirc. B&Q or Homebase if you want to look at them or Argos for ease of collection and return :smile: Or John Lewis if feeling flush (although their Anyday range is reasonable)

Ours are bog standard L.E.S. Fittings. We also got a few of the Bayonet to L.E.S. Adapters they sell.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

Other than halogen, aren't all bulbes either big or small, screw or bayonet?

Alex321

Veteran

Ikea lights are much more standard nowadays than they were a few years ago.

Dadam

Other than halogen, aren't all bulbes either big or small, screw or bayonet?

There are quite a few other common standards like MR16 or GU10 spotlight bulbs, and R7S linear bulbs for uplighters, but Ikea to my knowledge have never had proprietary bulbs made for their lamps.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Like @Tenkaykev above, we have a couple of IKEA uplighters, bought as “will do for now” lights, about 15 years ago. Cheap, and, still going strong. Standard bulbs, now replaced with standard LED bulbs.

As much as I dislike wishing a trip to IkEA on a fellow cyclist, I think, it is probably a good option ;)

Alex321

Veteran
There are quite a few other common standards like MR16 or GU10 spotlight bulbs, and R7S linear bulbs for uplighters, but Ikea to my knowledge have never had proprietary bulbs made for their lamps.

I suspect the ones they used to use were a Scandinavian standard (maybe even specifically Swedish). But it was quite a few years ago now.

presta

Guru
I remember when mains lamps were all bayonet, who kicked off the current fashion for ES, and why? Cheaper presumably, they certainly look it.

Top Bottom