Standard Lamps.......a question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I remember when mains lamps were all bayonet, who kicked off the current fashion for ES, and why? Cheaper presumably, they certainly look it.

I think they are actually more reliable, because the contacts are not relying on two small pins and a spring to stay connected.

Bayonet holders after a while would tend to go brittle, particularly with older plastics and the heat of filament bulbs, and then the tongue that holds the pin could break, leaving the bulb very wobbly in the fitment.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember when mains lamps were all bayonet, who kicked off the current fashion for ES, and why? Cheaper presumably, they certainly look it.

I find ES rather easier to change bulbs. Given the choice I rather prefer it and and gradually swopping to ES

presta

Guru
I think they are actually more reliable, because the contacts are not relying on two small pins and a spring to stay connected.

Bayonet holders after a while would tend to go brittle, particularly with older plastics and the heat of filament bulbs, and then the tongue that holds the pin could break, leaving the bulb very wobbly in the fitment.

I find it's usually the lampshade ring that won't come off once the heats gets at them, but it's odd that the fashion changed just as LEDs replaced tungsten.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I made my own, I wanted some thing differant
lamp.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Like @Tenkaykev above, we have a couple of IKEA uplighters, bought as “will do for now” lights, about 15 years ago. Cheap, and, still going strong. Standard bulbs, now replaced with standard LED bulbs.

As much as I dislike wishing a trip to IkEA on a fellow cyclist, I think, it is probably a good option ;)

They have recently dropped the price of delivery and it's now good value.

Tenkaykev

Guru
There are quite a few other common standards like MR16 or GU10 spotlight bulbs, and R7S linear bulbs for uplighters, but Ikea to my knowledge have never had proprietary bulbs made for their lamps.

the " 16 " in MR16 refers to the number of eights of an inch in the lamp diameter 🤔

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Even worst case failure can't you just replace the fittings and / or wire? You can ditch any electronic touch on-off shyte (as I have done on one lamp)

Yes, our two bedside table lamps had weird switches in the stems that wore out pretty quickly, so I rewired each flex directly to the bulb holder and added an inline switch. Always intended it as a temporary solution but they match the colour scheme in the room so nicely we've not wanted to change them.

Am redecorating over Christmas, so might finally get new lamps. I still find myself reaching for the old (dead) switch from time to time.

I think this thread shows that the term 'standard' is very misleading. :laugh:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Yes, our two bedside table lamps had weird switches in the stems that wore out pretty quickly, so I rewired each flex directly to the bulb holder and added an inline switch. Always intended it as a temporary solution but they match the colour scheme in the room so nicely we've not wanted to change them.

Am redecorating over Christmas, so might finally get new lamps. I still find myself reaching for the old (dead) switch from time to time.
Damn, never thought of that. I'm just redecorating our bedroom and it's a different colour so 'er indoors will probably want new bedside lamps as well. :sad:

Fair enough although their stores are still the seventh circle of hell I'm sure :biggrin:

Pro tip

Go in through the out door and see if you can find a map

that way you can avoid the 17 mile trek through beds and sofas that you don;t want
There are also short cuts hidden around the place - they used to be parked "Staff Only" but they seem to have stopped that and just hidden them.

alicat

Legendary Member
Or just go through the exit/out door and work your way backwards. It's usually quicker to the useful stuff.

Alex321

Veteran
Pro tip

Go in through the out door and see if you can find a map

that way you can avoid the 17 mile trek through beds and sofas that you don;t want
There are also short cuts hidden around the place - they used to be parked "Staff Only" but they seem to have stopped that and just hidden them.

They aren't even hidden any more, at least in the warehouse section. There are notices telling you where the shortcuts are. We didn't go up to the main display area last time we were in there, so not sure if they have done the same there.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Is it worth a look on FB marketplace, see if you can get an older style lamp? Probably cheaper too. My parents have a Gplan one (I think) they bought when they got married in 75 and it still works

Top Bottom