Remember the Sony Walkman - a walk down memory lane.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Walkman Pro was a mainstay of the broadcast industry reporter for many years, as I recall. Still command very strong money s/h.
I still want one of those!

yello

I still have my Walkman and it sees occasional usage when I want to record old tapes onto my music server. It's a little more souped up than the original version though.

Coincidentally, speaking of old kit, I had occasion to use my old mp3 player this morning (an iRiver H120, with a whopping 20Gb hard drive) The battery is shot and I run it on mains. I've debated replacing the battery but truth is that most modern smartphones are better players, and with greater capacity.

I hate throwing stuff out when it can be repaired. My old portable CD player is around somewhere too.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
had it not been for MP3... the mini-disc would have gone a lot further. Far superior to CD for music on the move and for lovers of the 'mixtape'... the mini-disc was a fantastic bit of kit.
Without a doubt. But the first minidisc players were actually quite large. By the time minidisc was portable, hard drive based digital media was becoming a reality. A victim of timing is all...

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Can you still buy new Walkmans? Cassette sales are on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts making Walkmans again.

I had an Awai Walkman, can't remember the model number but it was good.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What was the other cassette tape format that fell by the wayside? My uncle had a player he was very proud of.... I keep thinking of Betamax but that was video.
Digital compact cassette, maybe?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Can you still buy new Walkmans? Cassette sales are on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts making Walkmans again.

I had an Awai Walkman, can't remember the model number but it was good.
Outside of Chinese branded and manufactured ones I don't think so... I bet the Chinese ones are alright though.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Just had a quick google, this was my Walkman, wish I still had it, I've no idea what happened to it but I would never have got rid of it.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
No, before then. Google tells me that was introduced in 1992. I'm thinking of the early 80s, my aunt had a Depeche Mode tape she used to play on it!
I'm not sure. I remember the microcassettes and I'm sure there was another, but I can't remember...

Top Bottom