Reminder, the flying things are out in Aghjesusweptmyeye!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Learnincurve

It's that time of year again where swarms of suicidal greenfly are out hunting cyclists so if you don't have any then please please get some glasses. They don't have to be expensive, you can get ok ones for a couple of quid on amazon.

dawn72

Yip, I noticed yesterday too. Kept taking on involuntary snacks - bear gryllis would be proud

crazyjoe101

Don't resort to amazon. Several builders' merchants are selling Bolle safety glasses that don't look bad for only a few quid.
Second this. It doesn't matter if they're cheap but make sure they're safety glasses or proper cycling glases so they protect your eyes properly if a stone or something hits them.

sidevalve

Über Member
Try and avoid bright yellow clothes too [ok sorry to the I like to be invisible brigade]. It seems to attract the tiny blackflies.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I half swallowed a fly the other day. I tried a glug of water but the bugger fought back. There I was, on the side of the road, coughing like a 40 a day person, eyes streaming and then gagging. Hubster thought that I'd had some water go down the wrong way, but it was that fly.
I managed to cough him out, drowned - so that'll teach him. Hubster laughed, a lot.

I am very happy that my riding glasses are nice and snug on my head, there was definite fly strike marks on Tuesday and yesterday.

crazyjoe101

I am very happy that my riding glasses are nice and snug on my head, there was definite fly strike marks on Tuesday and yesterday.
I've just bent the arms of mine into place so that they sit perfectly over my eyes and stay there, I'd been too lazy all winter but the summer dust and bugs did a good job of motivating me.

stuee147

i used to wear a bright yellow hiviz and in the summer i would be covered in all sorts of flying bugs then somone told me to try the oringe hiviz i couldnt belive it its almost like an oringe hiviz is an ivisability coat its amazing the difference

Simontm

Veteran
I half swallowed a fly the other day. I tried a glug of water but the bugger fought back. There I was, on the side of the road, coughing like a 40 a day person, eyes streaming and then gagging. Hubster thought that I'd had some water go down the wrong way, but it was that fly.
I managed to cough him out, drowned - so that'll teach him. Hubster laughed, a lot.

That happened to me in Bushy Park last year. One of the buggers flew straight into my mouth and headbutted the back of my throat - Cue me pulling over and coughing like a good un for ten minutes. Not nice

JMAG

Über Member
Top tip.

To prevent swallowing flies you could try something like this and put some fine mesh over the mouth. I haven't swallowed a fly since I got mine lol

p17u8rpfof1ljlsdf160rpdknsu0_47462.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Second this. It doesn't matter if they're cheap but make sure they're safety glasses or proper cycling glases so they protect your eyes properly if a stone or something hits them.

BS EN166 F as a minimum to be specific. like my work glasses are. rated for impacts up to 45m/s

B are rated for 120m/s impacts and A are rated for 190m/s impacts

and avoid the tints unless specifically suitable for bright light as a huge amount are meant for low light levels and worn in bright light aint going to do your eyes much good.

please also be minded to check the optical class

1 is for continuous use
2 is for intermittent use
3 is for occasional use

generally class 1 only are used in UK but some of he lower classes have been appearing - this will hurt your eyes

reputable manufacturer too

Bolle, Uvex are the preffered suppliers we use in work for safety Glasses

Oakley ( if you have more money than sense) are OK

http://www.ultimateindustrial.co.uk/images/content/docs/EYEWEAR_STANDARDS_REGULATIONS_APRIL2014.pdf

Top Bottom