Removal of Sram Elita crank arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichTL

Not sure if this has been covered before but didn't find anything. Can anybody help with this?
I'm trying to replace the crankset on my kinesis bike. It isn't a self extracting type. Simply has a 8mm allen bolt with washer on the none drive side. There seems to be a thread on the crank arm which suggests using a crank extractor but I cant figure out how to separate the crank arm from the spindle. the extracter will thread into the crank but what should it press against? Would appreciate any tips.
Thanks

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You've got the allen bolt and washer off and can see the thread inside the crank.

The crank extractor is a 2 piece device, the 'nut' piece that you screw into the crank threads and the handle piece that then screws through the centre of the nut eventually pressing against the end of the spindle and slowly drawing the crank off it as the nut piece of the extractor tool winds back onto the handle piece.

OP
OP
R

RichTL

Thanks for the reply but you say "eventually pressing against the end of the spindle" the trouble is that the spindle is hollow so there is nothing for the nut to press against.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Alternatively, just loosen the bolts a little and go for a short* ride, the cranks will loosen themselves.

*round the block since you'll be pushing the bike home :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thanks for the reply but you say "eventually pressing against the end of the spindle" the trouble is that the spindle is hollow so there is nothing for the nut to press against.
The spindle is not totally hollow or it wouldn't work as a support device for the cranks. The void you can see is the thread hole into which the 8mm allen bolt goes. The crank extractor handle piece's head is larger than the allen bolt hole in the middle of the spindle and will press against all 4 metal walls of the spindles body.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure if this has been covered before but didn't find anything. Can anybody help with this?
I'm trying to replace the crankset on my kinesis bike. It isn't a self extracting type. Simply has a 8mm allen bolt with washer on the none drive side. There seems to be a thread on the crank arm which suggests using a crank extractor but I cant figure out how to separate the crank arm from the spindle. the extracter will thread into the crank but what should it press against? Would appreciate any tips.
Thanks
Has someone removed the outer nut/ring that screws into the pedal arm threads and makes the crank 'self extracting'.

D

Deleted member 1258

Got one but what does the central bit press against? Im confussed the central spindle is hollow if I remove the 8mm allen bolt there is nothing for the extractor to press against.

It sounds like your crank puller is not the right one for your BB. You might need one like this one with the adaptor.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/icetoolz-crank-removal-tool/

Edit, I've been looking at this online and they are saying that the crank should just pull off once the bolts removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The spindle is not totally hollow or it wouldn't work as a support device for the cranks. The void you can see is the thread hole into which the 8mm allen bolt goes. The crank extractor handle piece's head is larger than the allen bolt hole in the middle of the spindle and will press against all 4 metal walls of the spindles body.
The 'Elita' is a splined BB. (well mine is)

Top Bottom