Remove Shimano RM35 freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

I'm having a bad run on repairs at the minute - hopefully this is obvious to those in the know!

Firstly does anyone know how to remove a Shimano freehub (RM35)? It looks like there's a central body with splines then a round shaft where the threads are. All the videos online say to insert a 10mm or 12mm hex key (sadly I have neither!) but why would you do this if there's splines - suggests s special tool but I can't find one online!

Sorry if this is a "newbie" question but I don't want to start buying tools and hacking around as I could do more harm than good.

Photo of the hub and central screw in part attached.

IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll have to use a hex key, I know no workaround. They're not difficult to find.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Daft question but isn't that the removed freehub body you've photographed? Anyway, big hex key unless you have something lying around that might fit, such as an extender bar from a socket set. If you have the tools it's a two minute job once the axle is removed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You need the right sized allen key. The relevant 'splines' you see are the 12 angles, six of which will be engaged by the key. Can use 2 x 5mm or 2 x 6mm or one of each to be sure which key you need.

OP
OP
P

pfm401

Daft question but isn't that the removed freehub body you've photographed? Anyway, big hex key unless you have something lying around that might fit, such as an extender bar from a socket set. If you have the tools it's a two minute job once the axle is removed.

Hi I photographed the replacement which is an identical part.

Thanks
Paul

OP
OP
P

pfm401

You need the right sized allen key. The relevant 'splines' you see are the 12 angles, six of which will be engaged by the key. Can use 2 x 5mm or 2 x 6mm or one of each to be sure which key you need.

Sorry to be daft but what do you mean by 2x5mm or 2x6mm? I have keys up to 8mm but presumably I need 10 or 12 here?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
q and a on sjs cycles states a 10 mm allen key

OP
OP
P

pfm401

Ok thanks all, it was a 10mm hex key, a trip to Screwfix sorted it! It's just not a hex fitting (like a star) but as someone said here they're just to make it a good fit.

Next challenge is that the instructions supplied with the freehub talk about "precautions when installing the inner seal ring" and there being a way round for it. However there is no inner seal ring as such - there's a thin metal washer but it doesn't seem to have a "way round"! I've taken the existing freewheel off (see pics) and it's the same - no grooved inner seal ring!

Am I being daft or is it Shimano putting in generic instructions that don't apply to all freehubs?

Thanks again
Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpg
    IMG_5019.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5020.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom