Removing a Bottom Bracket from a Giant Defy 1 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

Hi all,

I am planning on swapping my FSA crankset for a Shimano 105 one and will need to change my current bottom bracket at the same time.

I know what tool I need to fit my new bottom bracket (Hope Stainless Steel BB - Hollowtech II type). But I haven't a clue what tool I need to remove my current BB. This is the original one that was supplied with my 2012 Giant Defy 1 and is an internal one rather than an external Hollowtech type.

Can anyone recommend the right tool for the job. I can take pictures of the bottom bracket tonight when I get home if it helps but i'm sure someone will know what type of BB it is and can help out.

I've looked all over the Internet but I think i've ended up confusing myself more than anything and I'd rather buy the right tool the first time.

Cheers
Alexis

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

My current BB is a Shimano Press Fit type if that helps

02GF74

Über Member
need to see photo of what you have - press fit type (e.g. like BB30) are unusual in that there is a tube in the bottom bracket region that has bearings pressed in it - it is not threaded which means you cannot fit a sealed bottom braked or exteranl bottom brackets - but there are adapter avaialble.

and to remove the bearing, you would use a puller or if you are careful, a punch to tap it out. note that there may be a circlip installed so you make sure you tap the bearing and not the circilp!!

No - you have a press fit BB.

There are no threads - the bearings are simply pressed into the BB shell.

You need a Shimano press fit BB and that will accept any Shimano Hollowtech chainset like the 105.

The present BB may be a Shimano - have a look at it and confirm.

To service these types of BB you need a press and remover (such as the Park you mention).

See this vid

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Thanks for the reply.

The make and model of my current BB is an FSA BB-AL86 which does sound as though it is removed in the way that you have said.

I wasn't sure if you were saying that I need to (and can only) re-fit another press fit type BB and that the Hope BB will not be compatible with my bike? Or once the press fit BB is removed should I be ok with the Hope BB. I'd be grateful if you could please confirm.

Many thanks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
iirc you can't put a Hope BB, or any other threaded BB, in any press fit frame without the use of a adapter. The frame will have no threads. The Hope BB has threads. The adapter goes in the BB shell and provides the threads. I know FSA do a BB30 adapter to convert a BB30 pressfit frame to threaded but have no idea if they do a BB86 one.

I think using adapters just invited a very creaky setup. ymmv.

Here is a Giant tech doc which gives you all the options

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_dk/bikes/models/manual/2010/BB Instruction for TCR-Defy-Avail ADVANCED series 20080504_EN.pdf

The Shimano BB referred to doesn't exist BTW.

The key point is that Giant have adopted BB86 as standard (there are a lot of BB standards unfortunately). (The 86 refers to the width of the BB shell 86.5).

So you need a Shimano BB86 press fit to be completely sure.

As shown here

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pre...ano_PressFit&gclid=CJKH_qODk7gCFUfKtAodoHoAiw

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Ah, it's all starting to become a bit clearer now. I didn't realise bottom bracket compatibility was determined by what hole was in your frame - didn't realise these came in threaded and non threaded (press fit varieties).

Looks like I'll be sticking to the press fit BBs then on my Defy and will return the Hope BB when it turns up.

Are the press fit BBs user serviceable ie. Can you open them up and re-grease the bearings when required. Or are they sealed and just need replacing as and when required?

Thanks for bearing with me.

You can service them - it can be a bit difficult to get the seal off - but they are usually packed with grease and have a good seal so they wear out before they need re-greasing.

The important thing is to install the new chainset with care - there is a preload bolt on the non-drive side of Hollowtech II cranks and this shouldn't be over-tightened otherwise the bearings wear out really quickly. Check out youtube videos on their installation.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Mark,

No, I didn't end up replacing my bottom bracket in the end as there was still plenty of life left in it and I didn't see the point in replacing it with a Shimano press fit BB at the time if the hope one wasn't going to be compatible. I did buy a replacement shimano BB from the wiggle link above and have bought the Park Tools BBT90.3 to remove the FSA one. I had planned to do this after the winter although i'm a little worried now that you say that the park tool doesn't fit.

Please keep me updated as to how you get on.

Cheers.

jiffy

Regular
Mark,

No, I didn't end up replacing my bottom bracket in the end as there was still plenty of life left in it and I didn't see the point in replacing it with a Shimano press fit BB at the time if the hope one wasn't going to be compatible. I did buy a replacement shimano BB from the wiggle link above and have bought the Park Tools BBT90.3 to remove the FSA one. I had planned to do this after the winter although i'm a little worried now that you say that the park tool doesn't fit.

Please keep me updated as to how you get on.

Cheers.

Just wanted to check that your Giant / FSA BB-AL86 worked fine with the 105 crankset?

I too am going to put a 105 crankset on my bike, and I thought initially i would have to replace the AL-86 in favour of the shimano.

Just wanted to check your experience. I have only 1000 miles on the FSA BB

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Just wanted to check that your Giant / FSA BB-AL86 worked fine with the 105 crankset?

I too am going to put a 105 crankset on my bike, and I thought initially i would have to replace the AL-86 in favour of the shimano.

Just wanted to check your experience. I have only 1000 miles on the FSA BB

Jiffy,

Yeah I had no problems with the 105 crankset. No need to swap the BB out.

Regards
Alexis

jiffy

Regular
Jiffy,

Yeah I had no problems with the 105 crankset. No need to swap the BB out.

Regards
Alexis

cheers for the quick response.

I have planned to do this for a while and have found it difficult to work out whether i needed a new BB or not.
To add confusion the bike is spec'd as mega exo bottom bracket, but the actual markings say BB AL 86.

did the 105 slip in fine? I have read (although on this subject it is difficult to find definitive advice) that it can be a bit tricky and require perhaps a little more force than with a shimano press fit BB

What differences (if any) did you notice before and after the install of the 105 crankset? Worthwhile?

Top Bottom