Removing a Bottom Bracket from a Giant Defy 1 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

cheers for the quick response.

I have planned to do this for a while and have found it difficult to work out whether i needed a new BB or not.
To add confusion the bike is spec'd as mega exo bottom bracket, but the actual markings say BB AL 86.

did the 105 slip in fine? I have read (although on this subject it is difficult to find definitive advice) that it can be a bit tricky and require perhaps a little more force than with a shimano press fit BB

What differences (if any) did you notice before and after the install of the 105 crankset? Worthwhile?

Yeah, the mega exo think confused me too at first.

The 105 cranks slipped in no problem. As easy as the FSA ones they replaced. No force required at all.

It literally was a 10 minute job to swap them over.

Not sure if I've noticed that much difference in terms of power transfer etc but I was just happier that I had a complete 105 groupset in the end. I found they look much nicer. I got a pair in Black but I did find that there was wear showing after the first ride where my shoes rubbed. That still bugs me now but from what I've read that sounds the norm.

Regards
Alexis

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

so did you ever get the FSA BB-AL86 off? I am trying to get mine off and the parktool bbt-90.3 is to fat to fit through. How did you remove yours?

Mark,

I had a go removing my FSA BB-AL86 bottom bracket for the first time today.

The Park tool bbt-90.3 fit fine with mine and managed to tap out the BB sealed bearing units from each side no problem.

However, I was then stuck as I couldn't see how to remove the centre plastic spindle and the 2 end caps with the FSA BB-AL86 writing on so couldn't fit my new Shimano press fit BB.

I'd purchased the Shimano BB linked above from Wiggle ages ago. Model SM-BB91-41B ( instructions and box do say it's for an 86.5mm sized BB) but at the moment I'm still not sure if it's compatible or whether I need to buy an identical replacement FSA BB.

In the end I just cleaned everything as best I could regreased everything and put it all back together again using the park tool clamp which again worked really well.

Anyone know how to fully remove all bits of the FSA BB-AL86 bottom bracket?

May need to pay a visit to my LBS if no one can help.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

so did you ever get the FSA BB-AL86 off? I am trying to get mine off and the parktool bbt-90.3 is to fat to fit through. How did you remove yours?

Mark,

So yesterday I went to remove my BB from my Giant TCX SLR2 to give it a clean. It too was marked up as an FSA BB-AL86. However the diameter of the hole was much smaller than the one in my Defy and so my Park Tool BBT-90.3 is too large for it to go through. I noticed that he TCX BB had a diameter of 19mm written on it. I'll have to take a note of the diameter on the Defy BB the next time I take the cranks off.

The mind boggles.

jiffy

Regular
Mark,

So yesterday I went to remove my BB from my Giant TCX SLR2 to give it a clean. It too was marked up as an FSA BB-AL86. However the diameter of the hole was much smaller than the one in my Defy and so my Park Tool BBT-90.3 is too large for it to go through. I noticed that he TCX BB had a diameter of 19mm written on it. I'll have to take a note of the diameter on the Defy BB the next time I take the cranks off.

The mind boggles.

hello again Alexis.

Last night i had a look at my TCX SLR 2 and saw the BB86 Marked -019 and thought "that guy on cyclechat said i could swap out from FSA to 105 without problems!!!!" so i went to find this thread and saw you had updated! ah the diffefrences between an FSA crank on a defy and an fsa crank on a TCX!

Why BB shell standards AND BB bearing standards have to be so different / difficult i dont know!

ah well, saved some money as i wont upgrade the crankset until the bearing need replaced.

For the sake of google searchers. the 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2 uses BB86 for an FSA omega crank with a 19mm spindle / 19 mm bottom bracket bearings!

Glad to know that the 19mm BB requires a diffferent removal tool than the 24mm - frankly the fitting of a new BB with be a bike shop job

jiffy

Regular
How do you find the fit between the TCX 2 SLR and the Defy.

From retul frame sizes it would seem the stack height of the TCX is closer to the TCR than the defy (TCR stack slightly lower)

I would appreciate your thoughts on the DEFY VS TCX 2 SLR fit as i am weighing up defy vs tcr as a road bike as i have caught the tarmac bug BAAAAD

i assume you have the same size of TCX 2 SLR as Defy?

my issue is the small TCX SLR fit me well and whilst i wouldn't mind the higher stack of the defy, the seattube angle is the same on the TCR and my saddle is very much on the edge so might be problematic for the defy (0.5 degree steeper seattube.)

2hCB8Io.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

My TCX SLR 2 does feel noticeably smaller than the Defy even though they are both M/L frame sizes. In hindsight, if I knew this I probably would have gone up to a size L. This would have brought the stack height up.

However this bike replaced a TCX that I got dirt cheap from a friend which was a size M and was much too small, so I didn't notice the difference between the two so much at the time.

I'm thinking about purchasing a TCR Advanced in the new year and will more than likely go for the L size.

Top Bottom