removing a crank..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
.. I have aBontrager X lite Crankset on my Trek MTb I have never tried to remove one of these and I am finding it hard to find instructions on the www. anybody got a link or want to talk me through what i need to do this.
It looks like it only has a bolt on one side the left side i remeber correctly, a new fangled BB i guess LOL!
i want to make some changes to my chainrings
cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Does this help?

02GF74

Über Member
mr Mag00 said:
because it doesnt look like i can remove my pixie ring over the crank arm, i maybe wrong but..............

pretty sure you are correct there.:laugh:

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
a giga x pipe

i have found the type, now this looks compicated, is it?

02GF74

Über Member
do you have access to technology that would allow you to post a photo of the crank?

googlig comes up with this:
20050916165129_bontcranks.jpg

that looks very much like the new fangled Shimano hollotech cranks. On those, the LH crank arm is removable then the whole assembly is bashed out with a mallet (the RH crank and axled being one piece) - the bearings being part of the cups. Obviously you need to verify that before the bashing begins.

You need special ring spanner to undo the cups - no idea of Shimano ones will fit.

02GF74

Über Member
I know that .... wasn't gonna spend time googling for a 3 ring version as that is minor detail.

Can you send e-mail to Bontrager, Trek, Gary Fisher to ask them? (all are same company I believe).

Nice cranks BTW - would be a shame to wreck them.

Top Bottom