Removing a MegaExo crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Thought i'd remove the crankset for a deep clean on the bike, but bottled it when the drive side crank didnt just slide out...i'm not going to start smacking something till i know how it dis-assembles.
So, removed the non drive crank....how does the drive side come out ? Looking at the tech docs, i dont see any problem, it looks like it should just slide out !!

On the same subject, i'm occasionally starting to get a single 'crack' sound when i first put pressure on the pedals. Seems to be coming from the BB. No symptoms or noises once going, still as smooth as new, just when i first put pressure on.

Any help appreciated.

NickM

Veteran
Is there a thin O-ring on the left-hand end of the axle, preventing the right-hand crank sliding out of the b/b cups?

Can't help with your noise, but I would check the frame carefully for cracks...

djb1971

Legendary Member
The drive side usually needs a little tap to come out. I use a really large rubber mallet:biggrin: The megaexo bb's are normally crap so grease ( bb and axle ) and tighten bb ( torque non drive arm to about 13nm I think ) and if it still cracks put a shimano 105/ultegra on and it'll become silent.

That's what I did :thumbsup:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Forgot to say don't lose your temper and whack the axle with your hand trying to remove the drive side. It leaves a nice round bruise on your hand.

Top Bottom