Removing a privet hedge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How difficult is it to dig up? Got about 10 foot of the straggly stuff to remove, so can anyone recommend the best method.

wafflycat

Why you digging it up?

Ranger

The easiest way I have found goes as follows:

Cut the stems down leaving about half a metre to a metre above the ground
Trim all the whippy/side stems right off to leave just the main robust stems
Dig all the way round and underneath the root plate as far as possible
Use the main stems to push and pull the root plate and look to see where the main roots are
Use a saw to cut through the main roots and keep rocking the bush until it finally gives up

How long, difficult to say. Some come out really easily, some can be a half day job depending on how big they are and what the root growth is like. Do be prepared for the fact that the stretch that you remove the hedge from will look like a World War 1 battle field and will need some work to level it again

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Unfortunately I have to turn the tiny front garden into a drive as the road has zero parking on it (I know, parking, cars and stuff). Actually even if I wasn't doing that I'd remove the privet because the garden and front of house isn't really big enough to take it. There be no nests or anything in it Waffly. In fact it's pretty desperate looking.

OK Uncle Mort, so no deep roots requiring sweating and cursing. I can do that.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I hope you've researched your permeable surfacing.

Yes, I know about the new planning laws. Haven't done the research yet but it'll be a way down the line before it gets anything but a hardcore base as there will be umpteen skips and builders vans using it first.

ChrisKH

Guru
Crackle said:
Thanks Ranger, sounds like a plan. Adds big saw to list of things to buy.

I use a small axe for root work, I must admit.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
And I've got a nice big bow saw too!:biggrin:
Send a car I'm free all day today.

BTW a cheap reciprocating saw works well and saves on sweat.
I used one on an Elder in my garden.
(I wish we didn't back onto that old peoples home...................;))

I have a Mattock which is by far the best tool in the garden

mattock.jpg

It is great for this sort of thing and will hack through roots.
Best sort is not quite like this but with an axe head on the top which you can flip round and use.

It has a standard pick axe handle on it.

I use it for digging over rough ground too an even for turning over the border ready to plant veg.

wafflycat

Crackle said:
Unfortunately I have to turn the tiny front garden into a drive as the road has zero parking on it (I know, parking, cars and stuff). Actually even if I wasn't doing that I'd remove the privet because the garden and front of house isn't really big enough to take it. There be no nests or anything in it Waffly. In fact it's pretty desperate looking.

OK Uncle Mort, so no deep roots requiring sweating and cursing. I can do that.

If you don't have a pukka dropped kerb in front, expect hassle from the local authority if it's spotted and someone is having a bad day.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

wafflycat said:
If you don't have a pukka dropped kerb in front, expect hassle from the local authority if it's spotted and someone is having a bad day.

Thanks. Dropped kerb has been enquired about, though if I do that I will be one of the few. The kerb is not high and most have in the past, converted them and just bump over. I will do it properly though as I'm sure the new planning laws will be making them pay more attention to this stuff.

I was just looking at the permeable paving. It's only 6x4m and I'm beginning to think of having a go at doing it myself. The little concrete path will probably be the hardest thing to remove. Hmmm.....

redjedi

Über Member
When I helped clear my brother's garden inc. a concrete path, we used one of these

428147-1.jpg

By far the easiest and fun ways to do the job.

Every garden shed should have one :wacko:

Top Bottom