Removing a privet hedge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I know it's cold and wet at the moment.But i soaked the ground with a hosepipe the day before.Do it soon while the soil is wet.It will be much easier.

tdr1nka said:
And I've got a nice big bow saw too!:sad:
Send a car I'm free all day today.

BTW a cheap reciprocating saw works well and saves on sweat.
I used one on an Elder in my garden.
(I wish we didn't back onto that old peoples home...................:wacko:)

Shouldn't that be an Older? :biggrin:

Over The Hill said:
I have a Mattock which is by far the best tool in the garden

mattock.jpg

It is great for this sort of thing and will hack through roots.
Best sort is not quite like this but with an axe head on the top which you can flip round and use.

It has a standard pick axe handle on it.

I use it for digging over rough ground too an even for turning over the border ready to plant veg.
Seconded, it will rip through roots up to 3/4" without any problems. Take maybe a couple of chops to cut through anything thicker.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You should make sure that you have planning permission fo rthe vehicle access as the council can prevent you from getting your car off your drive if they decide you don't have permission to drive over their pavement.

My privets were removed by a grab lorry gaining access to pick up a load of building rubble. It gave me a chance to replant them in a slightly better line and tidy them up a bit. I have been mixing in Holly with the privet so now I have privet with teeth! :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Crackle - wot Waffly and Night Train said. Enforcement action is not unknown on just this very thing, and, trust me, you cannot afford that.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noted: Plans to remove put back until after cold spell anyway, so I will ring the planning people again to make doubly sure.

Ranger

Crackle said:
Noted: Plans to remove put back until after cold spell anyway, so I will ring the planning people again to make doubly sure.

Don't leave it too long, once we get into late March/early April you will possibly have a problem with nesting birds and then you get into the whole Wildlife and Countryside Act, and if you get a local busybody or a freshly qualified planner you could be in all sorts of problems

Night Train

Maker of Things
The other possible problem is that some councils will insist on you having turning space on your drive if you are on a main, or busy, road. That means that you may have to be able to drive forwards in and forwards out.

Top Bottom