Removing BB cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dudi

dudi

no... but I'm intreaged. now... if that's how you spell it.

I do have an angle grinder and an effin big hammer and chisel if all else fails!

:biggrin:

Have you tried beating the cup with a hammer as you apply maximum torque to the tool? Sometimes the shock is enough to break the part loose.

A dremel is a tiny high RPM drill for which many attachments are available including discs for cutting through steel. Seems like your only remaining option is to cut a slot from the axle hole to the edge which will reduce the effective outside diameter of the cup allowing it to be freed from the frame. As it's hardened steel using a hacksaw will take an age so get the slot started with a dremel and finish it off with the finest blades you can buy. By fine I mean both quality and TPI (threads per inch). When cutting material with a hacksaw at least 3 teeth should be engaged on the work-piece at any one time. Use two dremel discs together to leave a wide enough slot for the blade. And keep the hacksaw blade well lubricated. Cut as close to the BB shell threads as you dare, cut as many slots as you like and then collapse the cup in on itself using your trusty chisel. And wear eye protection.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

success!

I finally succumbed.

The torture of heating and beating the frame proved too much for me and I took it to my friendly local bike shop... they removed the fixed cup for me no probs.
Now all I need to do is fit the new bottom bracket, and away I go. apparently it was suck pretty fast... some form of magical shop-based tool proved to be the litteral undoing of the old bottom bracket. saves me wasting any more time on it.. the fixed gear project should be more or less up and running this weekend.

andygates

And operated only by ancient, highly-trained gnomes who live in the tunnels that connect every bike shop in Britain.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

nah, i've got the cup it's totally intact..

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Just waiting for the wife to wake up so I can cook us some breakfast

Dave5N

Über Member
Sure it's the same one? :biggrin:

Maybe ammonia or if it's a steel frame an acid, or perhaps just a quality tool that grips the flats well?

Or perhaps they just knew which way to turn it? :biggrin:

Top Bottom