Removing crank & pedal arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fa66ster

Hi all,

Trying to remove crank etc.. from bike, I have undone the allen bolts to both sides of the crank/pedal arm but they do not seem to budge! Is it safe to assume that over time they have welded themselves? Is there a method for pulling arms off or am I being stupid and missing something? lol....

Cheers

PpPete

Legendary Member
Are you using a crank removal tool?
One like this is perfectly adequate.

Use with the magnetic adapter if you have splined cranks/BB. Remove the adapter if square taper. [If you leave the adapter on when it's sq taper you will strip the threads on the crank which is officially NOT A GOOD THING (TM) as I can tell you from personal and very bitter experience]

ASC1951

Guru
If you can get the cranks off without a puller, they weren't on firmly enough in the first place.

Mine come off with a half to a full turn of the puller spindle. IIRC you shouldn't put any grease on the crank splines, just have the surfaces clean and bright.

If they're tapered and 'welded' on they can be a bit of a bugger to get off. You could try riding about a bit with the bolts out, might help loosen them. I've ended up using a copper wedge and some carefull lamping in the past.

OP
OP
fa66ster

fa66ster

porkypete said:
Are you using a crank removal tool?
One like this is perfectly adequate.

Use with the magnetic adapter if you have splined cranks/BB. Remove the adapter if square taper. [If you leave the adapter on when it's sq taper you will strip the threads on the crank which is officially NOT A GOOD THING (TM) as I can tell you from personal and very bitter experience]

No I wasn't using a CRT lol.......I guess the only way is to buy a tool right?

Thanks for link.

ASC1951

Guru
fa66ster said:
No I wasn't using a CRT lol.......I guess the only way is to buy a tool right?
Yes. They aren't expensive and nothing else does the job properly.

BTW, I would go to my LBS for one, not online. They are heavy to post and although there are only two or three types, you do want to be sure you have the right one.

Top Bottom