Removing English BB cups, which way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1992 Dawes Stratos. I always forget which way these things go.

Removable side, undo to the front or rear of the bike.

Fixed cup, same question.

I suspect I'll have to nip to work to use a bench vice as I suspect it's the original BB.

It feels OK TBH, but as I've got the bike stripped down anyway I might as well overhaul, or replace if need be after inspection.

Thanks in advance.

compo

Veteran
Fixed cup is left handed thread so undo towards the front of the bike, ie, clockwise. The adjustable cup is normal right handed thread so undo anti clockwise.

It's pedals I always have to look up which way to remove!

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
OK, the adjustable side came out quite painlessly, (I love cared for bikes). I had to knock the lock round with a hammer and screwdriver, (animal), but it came off, and I found a pin spanner type thingamajig in the Lidl/Aldi toolkit I bought ages ago that I actually managed to undo the cup with. I expected the tool to fold in half, but credit where credits due it worked perfectly.

Now the fixed cup! Everything's looking pretty knackered in there TBH. I could pack it with grease and it'd run sweet enough for a while I'd guess, but why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar as they say, but the fixed side isn't interested in moving, at least not with a large flat spanner on it.

I'll nip down to work in a bit and sling it in a bench vice, but for now the frame is on it's side and I sprayed copious amounts of penetrating fluid on fixed cup.

Watch this space....................................................

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Now the fixed cup! Everything's looking pretty knackered in there TBH. I could pack it with grease and it'd run sweet enough for a while I'd guess, but why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar as they say, but the fixed side isn't interested in moving, at least not with a large flat spanner on it.

I'll nip down to work in a bit and sling it in a bench vice, but for now the frame is on it's side and I sprayed copious amounts of penetrating fluid on fixed cup.

Watch this space....................................................

The problem of using the flats on the fixed cup is it can slip so easily and you could end up with a damaged frame. I suggest follow the late great Sheldon's advice and make that nut/bolt/washer tool (mine cost me under £2 from a hardware shop). Combined with a good spanner and hammer, it has worked every time for me.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 23

robgul

Legendary Member
Should come out with the vice method (don't forget to wind it the "wrong way") ... and then chuck away all the cups, bearings, axle* etc and buy a simple Shimano cartridge BB (about £12 - 14 ... lasts for ages) - you'll also need a tool to fit it - or get the LBS to do it when you buy the BB

* measure the overall length of the axle as that's the size of cartridge BB you'll need.

Rob

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..oops...thought you said DD cups..:whistle:

Top Bottom