Removing pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 75603 Pedal spanner is a must. Give both threads a liberal dosing of WD40 or similar, then a good crank anti clockwise will do it. That pedal spanner came from Halfords, and is very good.
The pedals are threaded differently putting the spanner on the top and pulling backwards is the easy way to remember.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The pedals are threaded differently putting the spanner on the top and pulling backwards is the easy way to remember.
^ this - or horizontal pointing towards the back and push down with foot if required. I always give the thread a good coating of copper grease, then they are easy to undo.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sure I've used an adjustable wrench to get some off, but it's quite a thin one and I'm careful to put it on securely so it won't slip.

A toolkit will often give you cone spanners, spoke keys, crank pullers, chain whip, full size chain tool and some other handy oddities you won't find on many multi tools. Although they're often not all top tools, they're usually fine for occasional use.

Tim Hall

Unlikely. Assuming your pedals have spanner flats as well as hex holes in the rear face of the crank, you want a pedal spanner. Or a 15mm spanner, which is what I use. If your pedals don't have spanner flats you will need something like you've posted. And strong hands.

0lonerider

Veteran
i got a new set of pedals from wilco, then went to halfords and borrowed a pedal spanner! i put a pound in there blind box as a thank you.

RebornBumbler

If there is a flat, then a proper pedal spanner is by far the best solution.

If you only have a hex (allen) socket option, then you really need a long-ish key (like this : http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.skates.co.uk/scooter-parts/6mm-allen-key.html&ei=lTWjVOPWMsa8UZ3BgfgK&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24&psig=AFQjCNHu2j9HpRezGX_nEKRCH9AO-MK5YA&ust=1420068625354297 )

You might get away with putting a suitably-sized steel tube around the shaft of a normal key to get some more leverage...
It might also need some shock (a hammer...)

Both options make it more likely you'll injure yourself, so be careful or get someone else to do it!

Brommyboy

Über Member
The trick to easing the pedal is to have the spanner facing horizontally backwards, then putting your foot on the pedal, heel on the spanner: when you transfer your weight to the heel, the spanner should easily undo the pedal; also this sorts out the way to undo, as both pedals will be turned in the correct direction. My pedal spanner is a 15mm cone spanner, but I have also used a 15 mm flat spanner.

young Ed

Veteran
remember how ever you do this with whatever too weather or not you are successful or not you WILL end up with a nasty graze on your knuckles or leg, i have at various stages when doing cranks and pedals had some very nasty rather bloody cuts on my knuckles, shins and calfs!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Success ^_^

Got them off no problem with pedal spanner (£7.99 from Halfords) the problem was getting new ones on ...

... until I realised I thought the front of the pedal was the back of the pedal and as a result I was trying to put L on R etc.

I had no idea what clipless pedals were supposed to look like! :blush:

Top Bottom