Removing pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Important safety tip, before starting any forceful use of pedal spanners make sure the chain is on the big ring. That way if the spanner slips your arms will be protected from the sharp teeth of the chainring.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Success ^_^

Got them off no problem with pedal spanner (£7.99 from Halfords) the problem was getting new ones on ...

... until I realised I thought the front of the pedal was the back of the pedal and as a result I was trying to put L on R etc.

I had no idea what clipless pedals were supposed to look like! :blush:

I was going to ask you if you were turning them the right way. It is an easy mistake to make, ^_^

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Definitely! If it was something about the house requiring tools my wife would normally do it. Bigger DIY is my dad. He hung a door for me yesterday for example :thumbsup:

The problem arises when I branch out into a hobby on my own and my complete inability to work practical things out is revealed in all it's splendour!:blush::blush:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
remember how ever you do this with whatever too weather or not you are successful or not you WILL end up with a nasty graze on your knuckles or leg, i have at various stages when doing cranks and pedals had some very nasty rather bloody cuts on my knuckles, shins and calfs!
Cheers Ed
I've not done that yet. What do you hit them on? I've got chain guards or discs on all the bikes I've replaced pedals on so far: has that saved me?

young Ed

Veteran
I've not done that yet. What do you hit them on? I've got chain guards or discs on all the bikes I've replaced pedals on so far: has that saved me?
not chain guards or plastic safety thingies here, i tend to either strike them on the chain rings or on the concrete floor
Cheers Ed

ayceejay

Guru
Don't forget to clean the thread inside the crank arms and grease the thread of the new pedals before you install and don't over tighten. Next time you take them off attach your pedal spanner and give it a sharp thud with the palm of your hand, if it doesn't loosen you are going the wrong way. If you ride through a lot of mud and water you might want to remove and re-grease occasionally.

Easy way to remember is that the right hand crank has a right hand thread, ie normal thread that unscrews anticlockwise.

Top Bottom