Removing pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
What tool do you guys take for removing pedals rfeady for taking a bike on a plane. I have a pedal spanner but it's big and heavy and I don't fancy lugging it several thousand miles!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have spd pedals that are tightened with an allen key at the back of the cranks, would they be better for you? I pressume you'll be carrying a multi tool :tongue:

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
I use flats and the ones I have need a pedal spanner. Can you get flats that use an allen key?

And, no, you won't persuade me to use SPDs. I took them off the Galaxy earlier in the week!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Take a cheap 15 mm spanner with you (not in hand luggage, obviously) use it to refit pedals and then bin it.
At the other end, buy a pedal spanner or a cheap 15 mm spanner.
Or get a decent adjustable. Like a Bahco. Not cheap, but they do work well.
Simples!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's an utter nightmare, pedals. We nearly weren't allowed on our flight to France for the beginning of our trip because we couldn't get the pedals off. I was close to crying.

My advice would be to get them loosened here in the UK and then YOU do them up to a tightness you can undo again. Then, before you fly home, get a shop to loosen them and do it again. That way, you'll always know you can undo them.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Cathryn said:
It's an utter nightmare, pedals. We nearly weren't allowed on our flight to France for the beginning of our trip because we couldn't get the pedals off. I was close to crying.

My advice would be to get them loosened here in the UK and then YOU do them up to a tightness you can undo again. Then, before you fly home, get a shop to loosen them and do it again. That way, you'll always know you can undo them.

I swapped them onto the Galaxy from another bike only this week, well greased them and didn't tighten them up so there shouldn't be any problems removing them. Actually there won't be any problems because I just remembered I'll be boxing the bike up at home:blush:. I'll go with the option of buying a cheap spanner at the other end or asking nicely at a bike shop. One less problem to think about. I'd better be off to tape up my bars and wrestle the bike into the box. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
3tyretrackterry said:
you can get removable pedals that undo on a bayonet type fixing have you enough time to get some

I fly out on Wednesday, ash permitting, so probably not unless any of the LBSs stock them.

Top Bottom