Removing radiator covers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I would like to remove the covers on our radiators. They're held in place by these plastic c clips. What tool do I need? I've tried prising them round with a screwdriver and it's not working so I'd rather do it properly before I damage them. I've searched for things like 'radiator cover removal tool' and nothing's come up.

TIA

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Is there a brand name on the radiator cover that you could track down the internet to ask them?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is there a brand name on the radiator cover that you could track down the internet to ask them?
Not that I can see. It looks similar to some I saw branded 'Stelrad'. I can't see any tools on their website. I did see a 'how to remove...' set of instructions which showed use of a tool, but didn't say what it was. I might need to make more of a deep dive into their support docs.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Are they not like a spring clip ? push the sides in and pull down ?
Just a thought
As far as I can tell you rotate them. They're shaped kind of like a bottom bracket so I think you need a similar tool.

tom73

Guru
As far as I can tell you rotate them. They're shaped kind of like a bottom bracket so I think you need a similar tool.
Right ok they just look to be held in by tension have you tried seeing if they push in and then wist then rotate ?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Right ok they just look to be held in by tension have you tried seeing if they push in and then wist then rotate ?
I've done one of them before by just pushing it with a screwdriver but these ones are fairly well stuck and I don't want to break anything. There's not much to get a good purchase on.

Theyre 24 p each on their website. C clips. Prise em off with a screwdriver

https://www.stelrad.com/radiators/radiator-accessories/c-clip-for-compact-side-panels/
I would have to reinstall them though, which would be easier with the proper tool.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have 7 like that. All fitted by myself. None of them have that plastic c clip which leads me to think that you don’t actually need it. If you can’t find a tool then if it were me I would remove by shoving a flat blade screwdriver between the valve adaptor and c clip and levering the screw driver downon just one radiator and see if the end cover still fits tightly without it.

to remove the end cover it’s self, place a bit of wood under the cover and gently tap upwards from underneath with a hammer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom