removing the old style headset shim 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
As above!
cannot remember the name of these but those with the quill. I have not serviced this in ages :biggrin: ad whilst doing some work on it today noticed some rusty water running down the forks EeeeeK! removed forks, not easy, but the head set locking nut is rock solid!!
I have used 2x32 mm spanners and short of hernia or veins in head popping i can get the bar steward to move. any suggestions or leave it to the LBS?! it was vv dry in the top i have sprayed it with some gt85, will it help?

Zoiders

Hold on a moment

You said you got the forks out but the locking nut is still stuck on top of the head set?

This should not be possible with a threaded headset unless you have stripped the steerer tube thread

Pictures needed I think

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
:blush:i have removed the central pin bolt from the quil in the steerer tube, OH!! idiot i have removed the handlebars not the forks D'oh! what a chump:blush::biggrin:

Zoiders

So you cant get the stem out of the steerer tube?

First thing, put the stem bolt back in, screw it all the way back in, then back it off a bit so you have about a quarter of an inch sticking out

Tap the head of the bolt with hammer and a bit of wood, this will knock the expanding wedge out of the steerer tube

Try that first before I suggest anything drastic

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
the stem is out now but for some reason i cannot get the wedge out, so currently it is stem and handlebar free just the headset and forks are left attached and I cannot get the headset apart.

Zoiders

You need a head set spanner and an adjustable, head set spanner on the bottom lock nut, adjustable on the top, the wedge will want knocking out rom the bottom as well but that will be easier once the fork is out

Have you consulted Sheldon and the Park tools website?

As there are step by step pictures

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
Thnx zoiders i know how to do it, but cant get it moved. i have those tools and even used malgrips (sp?) as botching the locking nuts is not an issue now, seriously i think it is locked tight

Zoiders

Head set spanner and a bit of metal tube for leverage

Who put this head set in? you dont need to crank them up that tight, they are only ally so going that tight runs the risk of stripping threads

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
now assuming i do remove this headset and i dont know the size are there any aheadset system forks and aheadset that will fit, I assume this old frame is smaller than todays frames.

Zoiders

I would just stick another quill 105 headset in, they are reliable, well sealed and have replacable cartridge bearings

You are not going to find anything more reliable for the money and I dont think an Ahead will do you any technical favours if you are struggling to keep a 105 quill headset clean and running

I stripped a 105 down on a frame that was more than ten years old and well used, it still came back to life with very little work

You could go for 1 inch A head if you can find one, that would fit your frame, you would be needing a fork as well, neither are that common these days 1 1/8 being the standard.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
You are not going to find anything more reliable for the money and I dont think an Ahead will do you any technical favours if you are struggling to keep a 105 quill headset clean and running

hahahaha, thnx for making me look like a shmuck, as i dont feel bad enough!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom