Renewing wedding vows.....yes? no? why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
On the radio there were several requests which mentioned renewing the vows.
We have been married 52 years and never understood why people do it.
Not knocking it..... I just can't a reason to do it. We are still happy (seriously, how could she not be happy with me:rolleyes:)
Obviously some people make money from it so wish to promote it as a good idea.
Just to emphasise.....I am not knocking it.........whatever lifts your skirt, as they say.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
They probably feel insecure. Or it could be they still love each other. Or maybe one has been playing away and wants to make it up again.:laugh: Ain't really got a clue why you would want to do it twice.:laugh:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
They probably feel insecure. Or it could be they still love each other. Or maybe one has been playing away and wants to make it up again.:laugh: Ain't really got a clue why you would want to do it twice.:laugh:
My first thought was.......has one of them done the naughty and its a re-start.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
That occured on our CCs favourite show, Gavin and Stacey. Here is the ring:

D

Deleted member 1258

I’m also in the ‘why bother’ camp. If you want a party, have a party. If you want to reconfirm your feelings towards your partner, turn to them and say so. It’s like people who wish their partner happy birthday or whatever on Facebook... why not simply say it to them, why do we all need to know?

When I'm wishing people happy birthday on facebook those people are often too far way to wish them happy birthday personally, with my two sisters it about a 300 mile round trip to go and see them, our son is 90 miles away.

D

Deleted member 1258

We've never renewed our vows, though my Good Lady did have us have our rings blessed a few years ago.I always thought that renewing your vows was just a way of publicly showing your commitment each other.

figbat

Slippery scientist
When I'm wishing people happy birthday on facebook those people are often too far way to wish them happy birthday personally, with my two sisters it about a 300 mile round trip to go and see them, our son is 90 miles away.
Fair enough, however I was referring to people who gush about their immediate family, in the same house. I wish my wife happy birthday when we wake up, and perhaps a few more times during the day. I give her a card and maybe gift. I perhaps arrange a meal. I don’t run into the street and shout happy birthday nor post it on Facebook.

Same with our commitment to each other. I don’t need a ceremony or party to reaffirm it. I don’t need to somehow prove it and have it witnessed by others - I did that when we married and I meant it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not for me. I made my vows, and if I really, truly meant every word then there is no need to renew.

If other people want to then be my guest.
Its like folk who play around , i got married for a reason not so i could play the field .Caveat of course marriages do fail for many reasons but wandering eye shouldn't be one of them .

Top Bottom