Rent or Sell, what to do??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If you do rent it out make sure you pay the taxman. I tried to avoid it and got nailed, had to pay tax, interest and I think a fine and fill in a load of crap. All my own fault...

Some wise sage told me to do it from the start.... I did. It’s a right old balls ache and I hate the form filling (though the online system is now pretty good).

I once submitted the self assessment incorrectly. I was on the phone to HMRC, and sadly I got some starchy, stiff jobs worth who decided to lecture me.

I gave them both barrels and a bit more. How dare they question my competence when self assessment opens it up to idiots like me, just to save them money.

Slick

Guru
Chanel 5 at 9pm tonight Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords!
Ooft, never watch that if your considering renting. Probably even more difficult in Scotland due to the legal differences in recouping debt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some wise sage told me to do it from the start.... I did. It’s a right old balls ache and I hate the form filling (though the online system is now pretty good).

I once submitted the self assessment incorrectly. I was on the phone to HMRC, and sadly I got some starchy, stiff jobs worth who decided to lecture me.

I gave them both barrels and a bit more. How dare they question my competence when self assessment opens it up to idiots like me, just to save them money.

You are right with self assessment - it's no fun for someone who isn't a bloody accountant ( I am - but it's still a pain).

A colleague at work has 'finally' sold their relatives house - the money is going to improve their own, as something they can leave their own kids as some point (possibly 30 or more years away).

I think we will sell the MIL's 4 bed detached as it is. It needs stuff doing, e.g. kitchen, bathroom, decor, but the house is solid, oh and has polystyrene ceiling tiles in a few rooms... Electrics will need modernising and all the old redundant wires ripped out. We don't have any 'cash' to do it up, as it would be all our own money to get a few more bob on the market, so best sold cleaned out.

It does seem tenants get a better deal than home owners - if a boiler fails as an owner, you wait until you can get it fixed (money or time) - tennant's it's NOW !!!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

I found self assessment a complete pain. I had to calculate my interest and all that. Fortunately I had a really cushy job at the time and just did it all at work, I was on the phone to HMRC a few times though. I've been a wage slave all my life, the one time I tried to dodge it I got nailed. I was a real dumbass though, the deposit was in the system ran by the government (well I think it is), so I guess that they just cross reference that database and see if your paying tax. If you want to avoid tax on a rented property don't use that service or your screwed lol...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sometimes when a parent or grand parent dies you don't want to see a cold house or it different to how they had it, where they lived and you visited. You just want to remember the good times there. Maybe your wife feels this way. I'd go with her wishes.

Top Bottom