Repair and repaint Reynolds 753 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have recently bought a very cheap Reynolds 753 frame , very cheap because there is a sawn off lump of seat post stuck in the seat tube and the oaf who was trying to remove it had put a 1 cm split in the seat tube:cursing:.

It will, therefore, need a new seat tube and a repaint. I'm looking for a 753 accredited frame-builder and a quality paint finish. I know that this will be spendy but, given the frame, it will be worth the cost.

I am outside the UK and will be posting the frame so I am happy to have recommendations for anywhere in the UK.

many thanks in advance:smile:

midlife

Guru
Bob Jackson or Mercian maybe, not sure you can get any 753 tubes any more and might have to settle for 525?

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Thanks to you all so far,:okay:

I shall start digging deeper based on these suggestions. I am in no hurry, although I don’t want to sit on this forever and find that prices have shot up.

It looks like I can get the repair done using Reynolds 725, which is close enough to 753 ( feel free to tell me I am an idiot if this is wrong). as importantly I see that there are plenty who silver solder, which is good news as i want to keep heat levels on the other tubes as low as possible .

Happy to have any more suggestions:sad:

midlife

Guru
725 is probably nearer to 531? Just checked and Bob Jackson says it uses 631 for the main triangle, memory failure lol.

https://www.reynoldstechnology.biz/materials/steel/s-631/

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Are you absolutely certain that the frame is actually 753? My understanding is that there are no external differences between 531 and 753 tubes, and only a very very marginal weight difference.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
753 is a heat treated variant of 531, there both Manganese Molybdenum steel as opposed to CrMo.
Are you absolutely certain that the frame is actually 753? My understanding is that there are no external differences between 531 and 753 tubes, and only a very very marginal weight difference.

Good question.

The answer is not 100%, but probably yes.

The frame has had a respray and has a Reynolds 653 transfer on it. However, from the serial number the frame itself is end 1982/early 1983 (SB5797) and the fork in addition to the serial number has 1082 on the steerer) This suggests that it is not 653 as that was 1986(?) onwards.

The other indicator that it is 753R is the Cinelli Bottom bracket which is the SCM version.

And this is not a scientific proof, but it "rings" like 753 when you flick the top tube:smile:

Of course what I need to do is weigh the frame and subtract the weight of the stuck bit of seatpost , but it is currently at work and the scales are at home:rolleyes:

Top Bottom