repair charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't typically use LBS shops for maintenance or repairs, however my 4 month old ebike developed a significant creak, I ruled out all the usual contact points and cleaned and lubed the drivetrain, then booked it in at the retailer for investigation. They established the motor was indeed at fault, as I had suggested to them when I dropped it off. It's got a new motor under warranty, however they have invoiced me £24 for a drivetrain degrease, rear hub re-grease and a rear gear cable???

Am I being unreasonable to challenge these fees when I specifically told them I had ruled out the drivetrain? Presumably the mechanic has only paid minimum attention to the notes. Should I let it go or ask for the fees to be waived? I feel bad, but didn't ask for these works at all. I was clear in saying I was 99% certain it was the motor, but now I've been charged for work I could have done myself, and clearly they didn't need to do on a like new bike with a warranty fault.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
At 4 months old I would have expected any work they did to be under warranty.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I wouldn't mind paying for consumables, here its a single gear cable, but I don't see how it's even relevant to a creak! It's 20 quid for degreasing and regreasing a bike that's traveled only 400 or so miles that gets my goat!

Edit: maybe the cable needed to be cut to get the motor out, I'll let that one go then!

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
A good judgement of a price can be done by comparing what you get for the bucks with what you had to do to earn them.
I would overwrite their name on the invoice with mine and deliver it back, so that they pay me for the time and work I wasted due to their malfunctioning product.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
maybe the cable needed to be cut to get the motor out, I'll let that one go then!

Any work they needed to do to facilitate the warranty repair is part of that warranty repair. I would challenge the bill and ask them to justify it. If it wasn’t necessary to complete the warranty work they should have sought your agreement first.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom