repair chip/scratch in carbon fiber bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobi8

Regular
hi there,

my brother has recently put a nice big scrape in his new carbonfiber bike. the scrape its self is roughly 1cm x 2cm and has removed all the lacker down to the carbon fiber but hasn't effected the carbon as far as we can tell.

does anyone know any websites, shops, people or kits to fix this? like I said its just the lacker not the carbon :smile:

thanks a lot

musa

Über Member
Post a picture

If not as bad as you say just use touch up paint

buggi

Bird Saviour
i dab a bit of clear nail polish on mine but the chip is only a couple of mm. Not sure what will work. why don't you pop in your LBS and see if they have any ideas. or even write to the company and ask them implying it shouldn't happen... they might send you a new frame (one can but hope!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clear touch up paint from Halfords. Car stuff. 1000's of colour choices and clear colours.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
If the carbon is damaged you can get repair kits such as this.
http://www.carbonology.com/kit-no-2b-the-bike-frame-repair-kit-p-240.html
Videos can be found on YouTube showing how to repair the frame.

If its simply the lacquer which has come off then you can replace it with the lacquer from a car touch up kit. You should question using nail varnish on carbon bikes as there are reports that the chemical format can degrade the resins used to bond carbon fibre.
I'm not a composite engineer as such am unable to confirm or deny this.

screenman

Legendary Member
To all those giving advice on car laquer would they like to suggest which one, as there is more than 1 type. A single pack laquer is not very effective or long lasting, this is the type Halfrauds sell. A twin pack would be a far better option, nip into a local bodyshop with a couple of very small bottles and ask if they could sell you a bit of laquer and hardener, keep the bike somewhere warm after you have touched it up for 24 hours and it will be rock solid.

I suggest 20ml bottles and if the guys says no charge give him a £5.

Top Bottom