Repair or bin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wixsteman

Veteran
Hi just out of curiosity when you get a pinch puncture with two holes do you patch them or replace the tube.

When I was out today hit potholes that were in the shade of trees and I couldn’t see them ended up with a puncture, so I fixed it( first one ever) passing cyclist asked me if I was ok, said I was then mounted up and set off only to find out the back was flat too :angry:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I tend to bin them - it's a skill I've never learnt properly.

Bin, because the tube damage is not a clean prick and I'm concerned about a hole opening up under the patch. I did have an instance of that once. Having said all that, I've only had one pinch puncture in the past 3 years as I'm fastidious about tyre pressures, but on that occasion I lost pressure due to a thorn puncture and picked up a pinch puncture as well.

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
Thanks for the replies i think I’ll bin them as I would be worried about how well I’d patched them. Might have a practice 1st.

I usually have the tyres quite firm but my son reckoned they were too firm so let some air out. So I’m not sure if they were too soft or it was the speed and impact that caused it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tell your son he owes you a tube or two! ;) I suspect it was that they were too soft to withstand that impact at that speed - we may never know whether any pressure would, but I think it's quite rare to snakebite on anything less than a sharp-edged crater if your pressure is high enough.

I suggest using a pressure gauge (on a pump, ideally) and https://www.compasscycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BQTireDrop.pdf to work out the best pressure.

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
I have a decathlon track pump but I don’t think the gauge is working properly I will have another look. I usually test with a pinch of the sidewalls

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
At least it was sunny and it’s all good practice ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's loads of things old inner tubes can be used for:-
Sliding over a length of chain to stop it rattling.
Sliding over the shackle of a D lock so it doesn't mark your frame paint when locking the bike up.
Covering the exposed section of your seatpost, to protect the surface and also to prevent rattles from stored chains etc.
As an under-tape for drop handlebars.
To help insulate bar/tube mounted accessories from road vibration.
A short length can be improvised as a rubber band for holding bundles of small tools together.
The only limit to the potential uses for old inner tubes is your imagination!

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
Sliding over a length of chain to stop it rattling.
Sliding over the shackle of a D lock so it doesn't mark your frame paint when locking the bike up.
Covering the exposed section of your seatpost, to protect the surface and also to prevent rattles from stored chains etc.
As an under-tape for drop handlebars.
To help insulate bar/tube mounted accessories from road vibration.
A short length can be improvised as a rubber band for holding bundles of small tools together.
The only limit to the potential uses for old inner tubes is your imagination!
Lots of good tips ther thank

GuyBoden

Guru
eukbmx_new%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F01%2Fxinner-tube-design.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.t93zcxTka8.jpg

London fashion waist coat.

Top Bottom