Repair or bin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
Bought 2 tubes from Halfords £3 each don’t know how good they are but if they get me home that will do me and it let’s me get back out on the bike rather than having to wait for them to be delivered.

Are tubes all the same or are some better than others? Does anyone have any preference?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Have to say, I find the attitude of binning tubes each time a bit sad, and at the risk of politicising, (small "p") in a small way symptomatic of the environmental damage we as a species are doing. And there's us self-righteously claiming the green high ground by cycling

ChrisEyles

Guru
I had my first snakebite puncture the other day, loud bang, instant deflation, and 30mm slits in the tube.

My own fault, I messed up a high speed bunny hop over a square edged culvert on the MTB. I'd even lowered the tyre pressure a tad to ease the rocky descent I knew was coming up.

I normally patch tubes (my MTB tubes especially must be on double figures now between front and rear) but this one was clearly a gonner. Might recycle that one as a chainstay protector, they also make good hinges for bird box lids.

Never had a pinch flat under normal riding circumstances though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bought 2 tubes from Halfords £3 each don’t know how good they are but if they get me home that will do me and it let’s me get back out on the bike rather than having to wait for them to be delivered.

Are tubes all the same or are some better than others? Does anyone have any preference?
Tubes vary in thickness and quality control but I'm pretty sure there are more brands than factories making them. Sometimes it's more obvious than others whose tubes are the same.

Half-odds inner tubes are actually one of the things where their legendarily hit-and-miss quality control actually seems to work. I still prefer to buy impac, Schwalbe, Vavert, even Kenda or Wildtrax, but sometimes you want a tube and that chain store is the only seller open. It's a step up from supermarket or Wilkinson tubes.

Have to say, I find the attitude of binning tubes each time a bit sad, and at the risk of politicising, (small "p") in a small way symptomatic of the environmental damage we as a species are doing. And there's us self-righteously claiming the green high ground by cycling
You might be self-righteously claiming the green high ground, but I'm cycling because it's healthier for me, healthier for my community, easier, quicker and cheaper... but I usually patch inner tubes without removing wheels because I find it easier and quicker.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Snakebite punctures can be patched, the same as single hole punctures. I usually throw tubes away once they've been patched four or five times.

....and latex tubes can also be patched just as successfully.

froze

Über Member
I like the jacket idea!! It's been over 40 years since I've had a pinch flat, but back when I had a couple I patched them and rolled on them. Risk? what risk? If you know how to patch properly they won't fail so there is no more risk than having a brand new tube and getting a flat.

Top Bottom