Repairing a sofa. Any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I have a small leather sofa that has broken, when I was standing on the arm at the weekend putting some blinds up the wood cracked. It is about ten years old but I would like to have a crack at repairing it myself, and also re-stuffing the cushions at the same time.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

If so, any tips? Is it relatively easy or nigh on impossible? Bear in mind that it will just end up getting dumped if I can't repair it as I don't think it will be cost effective to employ the labour of a professional.

I had a go at repairing an old sofa once after the kids broke a slat inside it jumping on it (!), but the innards were so incredibly dusty it turned into a very messy job - and the mend didn't last long.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
I have a small leather sofa that has broken, when I was standing on the arm at the weekend putting some blinds up the wood cracked. It is about ten years old but I would like to have a crack at repairing it myself, and also re-stuffing the cushions at the same time.

If so, any tips? Is it relatively easy or nigh on impossible? Bear in mind that it will just end up getting dumped if I can't repair it as I don't think it will be cost effective to employ the labour of a professional.
Why not just sit on it for a while till you decide what to do :smile: (apologies)
Stuffing cushions (about as technical as I get)... feathers... as many a sposs, as stuffed as a japanese tube train. Or big wodge of sponge... strangely fulfilling to cut to shape....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Or ask on DIYnot.com

If I wasn't too bothered about appearances I would pull off the trim by carefully removing the nails or staples that hold it in place then I would have a look at repairing the broken part of the frame using PVA glue and some splints.

buddha

Veteran
Gorilla Glue or a similar polyurethane glue and some clamps should do it.
Just be careful not to get that glue on your hands, as it stains them dark brown and doesn't come off for about a week!

Dave5N

Über Member
domtyler said:

Yeah. Buy some steps and think before you act.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dave5N said:
Yeah. Buy some steps and think before you act.

You beat me to it...:smile:

Maz

Guru
The way I see it, you've nothing to lose. If you mess up big time, it's going to the skip anyway.
I tried a repair once, then realised it was too much effort and too dusty etc, so I took a saw to it, chopped it up and took it down the skip in the back of the car.

Turn it upside down and pull off the underside covering (our cut it if you cant be bothered and dont have little pets that can go inside).

You have broken the frame of the arm, this will attach at the base and probably at another point along the back. Find where the break(s) is/are.

The frame is usually made of some sort of wood or chipboard stuff. this is assuming it is wood based. Chuck PVA wood glue in the breaks (not cheap pva for kids). Now you need to hold the joint together. Try sticky tape, gaffer/electrical tape is best but sellotape at a push. if it is a join that can be held with just tape then great, you may need to make a splint out of some sticks (pencils) and tape it all up. You can add some more splints or supports in any of the open space in there to make it work.

leave for 24 hours
dont stand on it!

I made my staircase 18 years ago and it is only held by PVA glue.

Globalti

Legendary Member
PVA is wonderful stuff. Yesterday somebody in a climbing shop showed me some Nikwax wash-in proofer and he reckoned it was just PVA. It certainly looked and smelled like PVA. I might try that on my MTBing jacket when it gets its next annual wash, instead of Thompson's Water Seal.

Top Bottom