Repairing a Warped Rim -- DIY?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lothian

I took a spill on my bike that resulted in a shimmy in my back wheel. The wobble isn't excessive and I can still ride my bike. But it bothers me.

I watched a couple videos on how to straighten a warped rim, and I've searched this forum and others. The consensus for the repair seems to be: Remove excess warp then true the rim. Soooo... I removed the wheel and physically weighed into the rim to remove the worst; I then remounted it and tightened/loosened spoke nipples to pull the rim to center. This repair I've never had to do before, and to my surprise I got some good results. But just can't seem to dial it in. There's still some wiggle in the wheel.

A read a suggestion to "ride out the wobble"--presumably the wheel will true itself due to the forces at play when under load? A bike shop I contacted says "true'ing a wheel is completely different than repairing a warped rim", and the latter should simply be replaced while the former should be performed on its replacement. I don't want to buy a new rim. I just want to fix my boo-boo.

Advice? Recommendations? Is this a DIY repair, or is the repair shop correct?

Garry A

Calibrating.....
If it's really badly 'pringled' then it's best to get a new rim on the wheel or replace the wheel. Post a photo, lots of wheel builders on here that could recommend the best course of action.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It depends on how "local" the bend is. If it extends over only a couple of spokes the rim is probably bent. If it's half the wheel you can probably save it.

If you need to replace the rim, tape a new one alongside the old and transfer the spokes over. It will teach you how to tension and true a wheel.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
YouTube is truly amazing.
I followed that Parks Tools guy's violently thorough tutorial and fixed my wee bit of wobble for the price of one spoke wrench!
I remember the first time I used a spoke wrench about 20 years ago. I had broken a spoke and the wheel
went out of alignment. I fitted a new spoke and very gradually tightened it and used the brake blocks
as a rough guide to see when it was mostly back to true.

I used youtube also - I think it was somebody called C J Hoyle - and yes, I agree, it was an amazing feeling.
Previously, I had been replacing wheels to deal with this scenario.

With all the stuff I have learned over the years I do not think I will ever buy another bike, but just
keep repairing the one I have. The bike will outlive me I reckon. :sad:

Top Bottom