Repeat Log On Requirement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think there's a minor flaw in the software. The following has happened quite a few times: I can log on while in the forum index and it shows top right that I have logged on. However when I come to post in one of the fora, I hit submit and then the computer demands that I log on again. If this is happening to other people too i.e. my computer's not just being a freak, it is probably worth having a look at. Ta in advance.

I think that the only time that I`ve had that happen is when I`ve been `mulling` things over or 'popped' somewhere else for a look, and I think that it`s timed me out.

spesh

Andy in Sig said:
I think there's a minor flaw in the software. The following has happened quite a few times: I can log on while in the forum index and it shows top right that I have logged on. However when I come to post in one of the fora, I hit submit and then the computer demands that I log on again. If this is happening to other people too i.e. my computer's not just being a freak, it is probably worth having a look at. Ta in advance.

I've had the same thing happen to me just now. :biggrin:

Bokonon

Über Member
I noticed the same problem on Monday when I was viewing the forums from a PC booted from a live Linux CD. I just assumed it was a problem with the system not being well configured and trying to write cookie data or whatever back to the ro file system. Presumably the problem doesn't occur if you select 'remember me' when logging in (assuming it is safe to do so, eg not using a single user account on a shared computer)?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Used to have this sort of problem with many sites a few years back, but then I downloaded a little freeware programme called 'Cookie Manager'. Once I'd logged in to a site I'd open it up and put the cookie into the save side and all problems desisted.
I wouldn't use it for on-line banking though !

Shaun

Founder
I've tweaked the cookie and HTTP settings for the forums - let me know if anything changes, either for the better or worse?

Cheers,
Shaun

TimO

Guru
Those tweaks may have gone a bit askew. Threads don't appear to be "read" now. It doesn't matter how often, or what parts of a thread I look at, the icon stays marked as unread, as obviously do the forums.

I logged out, and back in, which killed the cookies, so everything was then read, but as people have made new posts, and threads have become "unread", they never seem to go back to being read.

Things seemed fine earlier today.

(This is with Firefox 2.0.0.5 under Windows XP).

TimO

Guru
Yes, threads are being marked as read now.

Cheers.

bounce.gif

mosschops2

Also - fyi - the re-logging in thing, which was a pain before has been resolved. Hooray!

In IE7, I tend to look at a thread eg Beginners, and "open as a new tab" any threads which I want to read. Even though I'd logged in on the first page, I'd then have to log in again on each page if I wanted to post. Not sure how widespread an issue it was - but nonetheless it is solved completely now!

Good effort!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm still getting asked to log on again just prior to posting something. I suspect that the time between initial log on and a required repeat is set a bit short. Would it be possible to extend it to about 15 mins?

On the whole though everything else seems to be running ticketyboo.

Shaun

Founder
I think that may be related to the board cookie settings - I'll have a look.

Top Bottom