Replace Brompton 2019+ crankset advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi

I want to replace my Brompton 2019+ folding bike crankset from the silver to black. The transmission remains the same.
1. Is changing the Brompton 2019+ crank drive exactly the same as changing other generic bicycle cranks ?
2. What is the name of the special tool which appears to be needed to undo one of the inner bolts ? Is this a universal tool too ? Any advice on tools welcome.
3. Does anyone know of any walk-thro instructions anywhere online ?

Cheers
sp

Attachments

• brompton-black-crankset-with-50t-spider-chainwheel.jpg
    brompton-black-crankset-with-50t-spider-chainwheel.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 8
  • brompton-crankset-with-50t-spider-chainwheel.jpg
    brompton-crankset-with-50t-spider-chainwheel.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Last edited:

Mr_T_Wales

Regular
I'm just a newbie here so I'll be looking at what the experts say, but:

I'm pretty sure that this is the correct tool. Personally, I didn't mind buying a tool to do this a while back as it will get some use. What is slightly annoying is buying a tool when you know you'll only use it once!

Based on videos they just sort of put the crank on, making sure that they line up on both sides of course and aren't at 90 degrees or something. I wondered about some kind of reverse routine too but it seems like it just sort of tapers and gets very tight and you only need the tool to remove it.

Nibor

Bewildered

yes just put the crank on the spindal checking it is in the correct orientation (don't ask) and replace and tighten the Allen bolt as you describe.

Kell

Veteran
Hi

I want to replace my Brompton 2019+ folding bike crankset from the silver to black. The transmission remains the same.
1. Is changing the Brompton 2019+ crank drive exactly the same as changing other generic bicycle cranks ?
2. What is the name of the special tool which appears to be needed to undo one of the inner bolts ? Is this a universal tool too ? Any advice on tools welcome.
3. Does anyone know of any walk-thro instructions anywhere online ?

Cheers
sp

1: Yes.
2: Crank puller - mine came in one of those cheap suitcase sets of bike tools you can buy. It's been ok and I've replaced several cranks with it, but it's starting to look a little worn now.
3: How to Use a Crank Puller and how to Replace a Tapered Square Bottom Bracket - YouTube

Top Bottom