Replace knobbly tires with slicks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kewb

Steve H said:
How much of a pain is it swapping between the two?

I want to put the thinner, slicker tyres on to ride more on the road. Although I have a mate who likes to go off-road every other weekend. I'd probably want the knobblies on for this. Is it a real pain to regular switch tubes and tyres for these different types of riding?

I know the easy answer here is to buy a road bike as well and I probably will do this eventually, but at the moment the cash flow (and the wife!) won't allow it.

its not a pain i can swap mine with bare hands i know some find tyre levers easier but honestly its not a problem ive came across ,
use the same tubes for both tyres no probs ,
feels strange pumping them to 80psi nearly double that of knobblies but have faith its all good .
you can go down the spare wheels route but it can be expensive as you will need a rear cassette and discs if required simpler to just swap tyres imho .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mine were wire bead so i found them tougher than folding tyres, i have gotten a bit faster lately what with 4 fairy visits in 1 week on my roady leading to buying better tyres for that.

As well as cassette would you have to change the chain as well as it would wear along with the cassette? or would it not matter as your using the wheels together and the the cassettes would both be linked to the chain wear together?

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Schwable City Jets have now arrived. I fitted them tonight - took about 25 mins in total and I've not got sore thumbs from pushing on the rubber to get them on the rims.

Looking forward to riding them tomorrow. Picked out a nice 25 miler.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I put some Schwalbe City Jets on mine earlier in the week. Only been out on them a couple of times so far for short trips. I also fitted a pair of conti 1.5 tubes as the existing ones were HUGEEEEEE. The ride is a bit more er firm, but theyre a lot better for road trips for sure.

Matthames

Über Member
Steve H said:
How much of a pain is it swapping between the two?

I want to put the thinner, slicker tyres on to ride more on the road. Although I have a mate who likes to go off-road every other weekend. I'd probably want the knobblies on for this. Is it a real pain to regular switch tubes and tyres for these different types of riding?

I know the easy answer here is to buy a road bike as well and I probably will do this eventually, but at the moment the cash flow (and the wife!) won't allow it.

Swapping tyres is not that much of a pain. If you are going to be regularly swapping though, it would be a good idea to invest in a track pump if you haven't already got one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And we all learn stuff everyday.

For close to 2 years i have been deflating tyres to get them past a v -brake not realizing you can take the cable out of the brake to get tyre in and out :biggrin:.
Admittedly i normally ride the roadie now and i know about the lever on those brakes so at least i am not a complete n00b ....

Davidc

Guru
Track pumps are good if you regularly change tyres - I use a Halfords 12v electric one to do anything up to 90 psi and that's even easier. Some people say you shouldn't, but I haven't had any problems in the 45 years I've been using an electric pump!

You should find that if you're swapping the tyres frequently they will become easier to get on and off. The first fitting is always the worst by far.

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Matthames said:
Swapping tyres is not that much of a pain. If you are going to be regularly swapping though, it would be a good idea to invest in a track pump if you haven't already got one.

Thanks - yes I've got a Track Pump. There a revelation. Very easy and very quick!

Well I did the first run out on them today. They are great. They seem faster and more free-flowing on the flat and downhills. Not sure they make that much difference on the climbs (still a slog!)

Thanks for all the advice - one satisfied cyclist. We'll now see what happens when my mates come round next weekend and want to go off-roading. I'll see how long it takes to whip them off and get the knobblies back on again.

kewb

Steve H said:
Thanks - yes I've got a Track Pump. There a revelation. Very easy and very quick!

Well I did the first run out on them today. They are great. They seem faster and more free-flowing on the flat and downhills. Not sure they make that much difference on the climbs (still a slog!)

Thanks for all the advice - one satisfied cyclist. We'll now see what happens when my mates come round next weekend and want to go off-roading. I'll see how long it takes to whip them off and get the knobblies back on again.

wait until they decide on a road ride and your cruising at 18mph :biggrin::biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
Conti Travel Contacts have a smooth central band like a slick with nobbles on the outside. Conti sell them with tubes and guarantee to replace the tyre/tube if you get a flat in the first year. Can't be bad. They are about £22 a tyre (includes tube). They have pretty good reviews on CRC and Wiggle. Just a suggestion if you want a tyre that can roll easily for road use and still give reasonable grip off road. I think Halfords do them as well. They are 1.6 or 1.75 width IIRC.

HTH.

Debian

cyberknight said:
And we all learn stuff everyday.

For close to 2 years i have been deflating tyres to get them past a v -brake not realizing you can take the cable out of the brake to get tyre in and out :biggrin:.
Admittedly i normally ride the roadie now and i know about the lever on those brakes so at least i am not a complete n00b ....

I put Big Apples on my v-brake equipped MTB. Excellent tyre until I found out that, even unclipping the cable doesn't give me enough room to take the wheel off. I have to deflate the tyre or take the brake blocks off :cheers:

deccoo

Crankarm said:
Conti Travel Contacts have a smooth central band like a slick with nobbles on the outside. Conti sell them with tubes and guarantee to replace the tyre/tube if you get a flat in the first year. Can't be bad. They are about £22 a tyre (includes tube). They have pretty good reviews on CRC and Wiggle. Just a suggestion if you want a tyre that can roll easily for road use and still give reasonable grip off road. I think Halfords do them as well. They are 1.6 or 1.75 width IIRC.

HTH.

+1 Have a set on my MTB and have been a revelation since moving from knobblies!

Did have a quite an epic fail when I got home with the first set... a pair of 28s! Oops!

Top Bottom