Replace parts or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd replace.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
with some careful parts hunting, i reckon you could get it back to a reasonable level for less then £200.
Depends what you want to replace the parts with and the amount of work you can do yourself

In the interests of re-use being better than just throwing away I'd replace the relevant parts.

Both wheels - You should be able to get replacement 700c wheels for around £100 if you're not too fussed about being light or fast.
Both tyres - Not much, maybe £30
Cables - I can't believe you're including these! A few quid to replace.
Chainset - is it the whole set or just the big ring? Assuming the BB is sound, a new chainset could be yours for between £50-£100. Chainrings for about £25ish.
Pedals - not much, depending on what you want.
Seat - again, not much
Mudguards - about £30

Most of the stuff you've listed is just consumable stuff that will inevitably need replacing at some point. Maybe it's all failed at the same time, which looks bad, but really it's just the kind of stuff that you replace as you go along, it's not a good enough reason for dumping a perfectly sound bike. And all of it is easily to fit and fix yourself. The only thing you might need an LBS to do for you is to tweak the gears after you've replaced the cables.

albal

Guru
I come across this all the time when on skip/scrap lorry, It all comes down to neglect I'm afraid.(& the fact bikes are cheap compared to ...Iphone(s) etc) As posted in photo gallery my runabout approx 18 yrs old & in good working order.
I can understand some people lead very busy lives(i wish mine was!) & maintenance is way down the list of 'things to do'. So long as the frame is sound & major parts ie BB, the rest is fixable.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm with Chuffy. Buy whatever parts you need and fit them yourself. This way you'll learn about your bike and it will feel more like yours. The parts you mention are mostly ones you should replace on a regular basis anyway.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tail End Charlie said:
I'm with Chuffy. Buy whatever parts you need and fit them yourself. This way you'll learn about your bike and it will feel more like yours. The parts you mention are mostly ones you should replace on a regular basis anyway.
What, chainset, pedals and wheels?

Gears are easy, in fact there's nowt ticky there, you might need a few specific tools though.

How did you let it get in such a state Crock, shame on you. :laugh:

Sheldon
Bicycletutor
park tools

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those Quest wheels are £60 a pair - mentioned in Know how.

Chainset - just chain wheels - search about for bargains or even a whole new chainset can sometimes be cheaper.

The rest of the stuff is usual wear and tear.

Top Bottom