Replace rear derailleur? Which one do you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blekione

The time has come.
My bike hybrid Saracen HyWay is almost 3 yrs old and to be honest I found is made from cheap parts. My rear derailleur is Shimano Tourney TX-30 and after 3 years it need to be replaced. I don't want to spend a lot of money for new one, but a little upgrade would be nice. Any suggestions?

I use my hybrid bike everyday for commute to work. Not long journey, 15 min in one way. Sometimes go to shop by bike etc. So I don't need super-hyper bike, just something reliable, which need as little attention as can.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just replace like for like. 3 years is a good call for a commute bike part.
With the amount of riding you do, upgrading to a more expensive derailleur won't make a blind bit of difference to your bike or your ride.

OP
OP
B

blekione

I will go for that Alivio Drago.
My another question is, do I have to change cables as well or not necessarily? What about chain? I think my chain after proper cleaning should last for a while, but if I leave old one it won't be tearing derailleur quicker?

P.H

Über Member
Just replace like for like. 3 years is a good call for a commute bike part.
With the amount of riding you do, upgrading to a more expensive derailleur won't make a blind bit of difference to your bike or your ride.
Really? 15 min each way, so about 6 miles a day, times 5, times 48 comes out at around 4,500 miles for the three years. I think that's a shockingly poor lifespan for any component and would be wanting to know why it hadn't lasted a lot longer. Firstly I'd be looking at if it really was at the end of it's life or just needed some love, then if it was finished I'd change whatever it was that caused it's demise, either taking better care of it's replacement or buying something more capable.
I have a pair of Deore mechs that have at least 25,000 miles use and show no signs of not going on for another 25,000.

Alivio is just for 7/8 speed isn't it?

Anyway I recently put a new Alivio rear mech on my hybrid city bike/sometime tourer and am very happy with it - can't think that more dosh would have got anything better.* Got it from Chain Reaction for a very good price - also an Alivio brand new cranks/chainring for £25. Rides perfectly.

* It's refreshing on here to so often come across sensible advice that often the "lower end" Shimano stuff is perfectly good.

P.H

Über Member
* It's refreshing on here to so often come across sensible advice that often the "lower end" Shimano stuff is perfectly good.
I'm stunned that anyone would consider recommending a component that only lasts 4,500 miles is sensible. If the component isn't up to the job, something that costs twice the price and lasts ten times longer represents far better value.

er, who said the Alivio would only last 4,500 miles?

I think my old mech on that bike was a Tourney - it lasted an awful long time - not sure how many miles - I don't count. I replaced the jockey wheels at one point but that was fair enough, especially as in that period my maintenance/cleaning regime was a disgrace.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alivio is a solid performer, durable and dependable. It's as low down the range as I'd personally go, but it is proper kit. The biggest difference as you spend more than that is less weight, and for general duties get you to work riding that's not a major consideration.

P.H

Über Member
er, who said the Alivio would only last 4,500 miles?
The OP has, at my estimate, got 4,500 miles from their "lower end" Shimano mech.
sensible advice that often the "lower end" Shimano stuff is perfectly good
If you were referring to only some of the advice and only some of the budget components, then that isn't clear.
My advise is to work out why this one has been so poor, before buying anything. That may result in getting something else, the same thing or nothing at all.

HovR

Über Member
I have an Alivio rear mech, and it shifts well. Only done a couple of thousand miles on it at a guess, but it's still working fine, never had any issues.

I have the slightly older M410 model, but the newer M430 is available for a little bit more.

If you've never changed the cables or chain, then I'd say do it. A new mech will shift better with new cables and nice clean chain anyway.

Top Bottom