replace stair carpet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Having the house valued with a thought to move but it all depends on what we get for ours as im pushing it age wise to get a mortgage that will buy us something nice .
The stairs carpet has worn on the risers , will replacing it help sell the house or affect the sale price ?

screenman

Legendary Member
Will not affect the value but may help to create a feel good factor.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd leave it.

We will have to sell MIL's house in the future. One of the daughters has said we could 'do it up' - that means me, as her husband is DIY'phobic. The answer is, we will sell it as is. The house needs re-decorating completely, re-wire, new kitchen and new bathroom.

keithmac

Guru
Our house had no carpets, or internal doors, knackered front and back door and 5 skips worth of rubbish in the back garden.

Still bought it as it was in the area we wanted, had good off road parking and a decent sized back garden.

Different people look for different things in a house!.

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't help - both of my houses are bungalows, so I have little experience of the wooden hill.

Depends where the carpet is? If you walk through the front door and see the worn carpet first it’s not a good first impression and maybe worth replacing with something neutral.

You can make a house appear well maintained with little things like fresh gloss, new door handles, shiny taps, floors and the smell of warm coffee and bread when underneath it all it’s a shoot tip. We did it with ours when selling, didn’t add any value but made it easier to sell, sold in about 8 weeks.

Before you get your EPC done fit led lightbulbs and consider a new boiler/pv panels/air source heat pumps to increase efficiency which does add value. For example we put a new boiler in for £3.5k but it added £5k onto value so worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

reminds me off a book i read to the kids
1572599850094.png

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Depends where the carpet is? If you walk through the front door and see the worn carpet first it’s not a good first impression and maybe worth replacing with something neutral.

You can make a house appear well maintained with little things like fresh gloss, new door handles, shiny taps, floors and the smell of warm coffee and bread when underneath it all it’s a shoot tip. We did it with ours when selling, didn’t add any value but made it easier to sell, sold in about 8 weeks.

Before you get your EPC done fit led lightbulbs and consider a new boiler/pv panels/air source heat pumps to increase efficiency which does add value. For example we put a new boiler in for £3.5k but it added £5k onto value so worth it.
rest of house is ok , had a new kitchen a couple of years ago , just done the floor in there, boiler is about 6 years old with magnatec filter so its a good un , just decorated lounge, only room not done is our bedroom which we have paint for as mrs ck off next week .
New gas fire fitted last year too

Levo-Lon

Guru
Having the house valued with a thought to move but it all depends on what we get for ours as im pushing it age wise to get a mortgage that will buy us something nice .
The stairs carpet has worn on the risers , will replacing it help sell the house or affect the sale price ?

Not at all, a beautiful furnished well presented house will attract buyers but value will be mostly down to the area.

Most people do a complete re-dec and new flooring ect.

Now a nice kitchen and bathroom will help value and saleability but only a little, as does a nice drive and garden.

As with most houses when you move out you see all the wear and tear..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
house had 1st valuation , what i expected they said it will help sell the house so i will look at some cheap stuff just to tart it up
I think 'they' generally know - they have their fingers on the local pulse. When I sold my dad's house 'they' said not to bother with things like that - "All the buyers round here are going to rip everything out and start from scratch anyway: any money you put in at this point would be wasted." But I'd assume they know that where you're selling, it could help.

Top Bottom