Replacement bike tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikenoob

Hi,
I've bought an second hand Pendelton Somerby bike for my other half and the tyres need to be replaced. I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them. Halfords of course do not even though they sell the bike. The measurements on the tyre are 40-622 (700 x 38C - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2). They are Kenda brand and are cream in colour. Can anyone suggest a replacement that is sure to fit? I would take it to a bike shop if they were open!

Thanks

Attachments

• Kenda_tyre.jpg
    Kenda_tyre.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bike shops are mostly open unless they are in a shopping mall that is closed or similar. 37-622 are plentiful (I like Schwalbe Delta Cruiser) and will fit but need pumping slightly harder so slightly less comfortable. Any first number up to 40 should fit. If you have a gap to the mudguard 42- or 45- may fit and be comfortable. The second number must be 622 to fit the wheel.

edit to add: Kenda are worse than most for changing tyre models frequently, I think.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Schwalbe delta cruisers should be easily obtainable in white. I replaced the kendas on Mrs C's Raleigh once they'd worn and they were the closest match.

vickster

Legendary Member

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Suitable tyres will be marked or sold as either XX-622 or 700 x YYC, where XX or YY are somewhere between 32 and 45 (it looks like you have plenty of space under the mudguard). You may as well stick around 37-40 - that, or 35, are the commonest sizes.

Pale tyres are relatively uncommon.
Avoid anything with big knobbles unless you propose riding on grass or mud - they don't dig in to hard roads and will just slow you down.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are popular, as they are the nearest thing you'll find to puncture proof. Heavy, not too quick, and can be hard to fit.

Any branch of Halfords or local bike shop other than those strictly for racing bikes should have something suitable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They look in rather short supply on a quick google search in a pale colour / the correct size...like a lot of bike stuff right now!

These guys look to have in white or cream though in 37-622
https://www.richardsonsonline.co.uk...-Tubes/Tyres/700c/Schwalbe-Delta-Cruiser-Tyre 👍
Phone them before trekking out to St Ives on the busway, as there's no telling from the web which branch or warehouse they're in.

If I was in Cambridge, I'd try phoning Kingsway, Lensfield, Bicycle Ambulance and Rutland because I would bet one would have some.

vickster

Legendary Member
Phone them before trekking out to St Ives on the busway, as there's no telling from the web which branch or warehouse they're in.

If I was in Cambridge, I'd try phoning Kingsway, Lensfield, Bicycle Ambulance and Rutland because I would bet one would have some.
Or just order online? I didn't even look as to where the shop is, a search simply showed them as available (unlike other retailers). With free delivery over £15 too

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want low-hassle fit & forget tyres, you can't easily do better than Schwalbe Delta Cruiser, Delta Cruiser Plus, or Marathon Greenguard Tyres. All have a good level of puncture resistance, the DC+ and Marathon especially so. The basic Delta Cruiser is cheaper and a bit lighter, but not quite so puncture proof. I have all three types of these on different bikes and none have had a flat in three years riding. Conversely in my experience, Kenda are not that puncture resistant and were probably factory fitted to keep costs down. Most new bikes come with relatively cheap tyres.
I'm not a huge fan of the white/cream versions of any tyre personally. They might look OK in the showroom on a certain type of bike but they soon get stained and grubby in use. I prefer either tan/amberwalls that are a bit darker or black tyres with the reflex stripes common on Schwalbes.

Top Bottom