Replacement brakes for Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Acyclo

Veteran
The Tektro calipers on my Triban 3 are prone to seizing, due mainly to poor design choices. Are the similar Shimano units (which I'm assuming would be a simple replacement) equally prone to seizing? Advice please.

Sharky

Guru
Have you loosened the pivot bolts, cleaned and lubricated everything that moves?

OP
OP
Acyclo

Acyclo

Veteran
Yes, I can get them unseized by disassembly, cleaning and a spot of silicone. But I'm lazy and hopeless, so I was looking for a solution which needed less TLC.

OP
OP
Acyclo

Acyclo

Veteran
Any brakes will seize if you don't look after them especially if you ride regularly on wet roads.
Bummer. I was hoping that Shimano ones might be better designed. Having recently dismantled Tektro brakes they look designed to seize.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Buy a can of WD40 (with the straw) or GT85 and every couple of weeks spray in between the moving parts. If you have been riding in the wet do that as soon as you get home as it will displace any water. Just occasionally I will put a few drops of lube in between the moving parts. Wipe of any excess, it takes two minutes to do, Easy.

OP
OP
Acyclo

Acyclo

Veteran
Buy a can of WD40 (with the straw) or GT85 and every couple of weeks spray in between the moving parts. If you have been riding in the wet do that as soon as you get home as it will displace any water. Just occasionally I will put a few drops of lube in between the moving parts. Wipe of any excess, it takes two minutes to do, Easy.
Useful advice. Tar.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had some Tektro road brakes and they seized up too - I did not look after them ( I did not know how).
My replacement Shimano brakes always get some oil in the gaps regularly so they open and close nicely.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Generally speaking, upgrading the brake unit will improve braking performance, reduce weight, or both - but if your intention is to neglect them the only difference will be that the upgraded ones will cost more to ruin.
Keeping a bicycle clean and lubricated is best done as a regular activity and it will pay dividends in terms of reliability, reduced wear and tear, safety and ease of riding.
I am a little obsessive at times, but I just can't comprehend why so many people on bicycles ride with almost flat tyres and rusted chains.The maximun effort used to inflate a tyre with a half decent pump will be less than the extra effort required while riding to overcome increased rolling resistance - and you will be much less likely to have a puncture.

Top Bottom