Replacement Chain for a Giant Roam 0 (2015)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
any 10 speed chain will do, KMC, Shimano, SRAM :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you don't have one already you will also need a chain tool to cut the new chain to the same length as the old one.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I bought this 10 speed chain.

20220314_142409.jpg

But it appears too short:

20220314_142123.jpg

20220314_142125.jpg

Please help.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks like you've threaded it wrong. Should be like this:
1647268955274.png

Check out youtube. Search for something like "how to thread a derailleur chain" or something and you'll get lots of videos.

It's very easy to get wrong.

The chain you've bought will almost certainly be too long. You'll need to cut it to the right length before fitting. I do this by lying the old chain down on the floor, folded in half and the new one next to it and then count the links. And then count them again. And again.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Can the master link be opened and re-closed? I'm concerned I've ruined the chain.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can the master link be opened and re-closed? I'm concerned I've ruined the chain.
Probably, yes. Some are non-reusable but if you've just clicked it together I doubt that undoing and redoing it will do it any harm. Either way you won't have ruined the chain, just the quick link. In which case you just need to get a new 10S quick link. They can be tricky to remove tho.

Reminds me of when I popped down my local shop and bought a chain, only to return an hour later to buy a quick link. The guy in the shop looked puzzled and said "but they come with a quick link". I had to explain that I'd catapulted my quick link across my garage and lost it.

nlmkiii

I always used to use an old gear cable to break the master link. If you're just doing it every now and then it will be fine, don't worry about the tool.

Sizing guide:
Put chain in big ring on front and back, and pull the chain together as close as it can go. At this point your derailleur hanger will be pointing forwards (it will prove quite awkward to actually do this part). This is the absolute shortest your chain could be without causing issues... it makes sense right? This is the longest run the chain would ever need to make, and you're pulling the chain to it's shortest possible length at this point! Any shorter and it couldn't get into this gear and you risk breaking things if you accidentally try to.

Don't make it as short as possible though, give yourself a little bit of leeway. Release it a couple of links and break the chain there.

IMPORTANT! There are two types of link in every chain (think inside and outside). Make sure you are breaking the right one. Fortunately if you've done it as above and you mess up you can whip out that last link and you'll still be okay :smile:

oh also, make sure you've threaded it correctly before shortening it :smile: Maybe post a picture up here of what you think is correct before going ahead and using the chain tool to break it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sizing guide:
Put chain in big ring on front and back ...
You only really need to do that when you're building a bike from scratch and/or you don't know how long it should be. I always just assume that the previous chain was the right length and use the same number of links.

That's still quite difficult mind, lots of counting and making sure you count the right number of plates and sticky-out bits. Well, I find it difficult.

Top Bottom