Replacement Chain for a Giant Roam 0 (2015)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

You only really need to do that when you're building a bike from scratch and/or you don't know how long it should be. I always just assume that the previous chain was the right length and use the same number of links.

That's still quite difficult mind, lots of counting and making sure you count the right number of plates and sticky-out bits. Well, I find it difficult.
yeah I do it that way quite often too. Though don't count... just hold it up next to the old one! Accounting for wear it will just be a small amount of a link smaller.

Looks like he needs to get it done from scratch though? If not, then yes for sure, just chop it off at the same length!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
New bike time, I'm afraid! :whistle:

Jim Cardiff

Catapulting the quick link (see Dogtrousers' post) can be avoided by getting an old wire coathanger and cutting off about 6". Bend each end inwards beyond 90 degrees to form 2 slight hooks. when removing or connecting a chain use it to "join" the chain by slotting into the links in such a way tht there's some slack between the hooks, with the quick link in the slack part. You can then join or disconnect the chain with no tension. It's easier and the link doesn't fly over your shoulder.

Personally I'm a fan of Wipperman Connex chains. Expensive but long lasting, and the quick link can be used over and over again without tools. It's so easy it's hard to believe you've actually done it right.

Top Bottom